Yet another refinishing problem

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by gborelli, Oct 14, 2013.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

This particular guitar is a keeper of mine, BUT, when I sanded it down to restain and refinish ( I did this because I bought with about 5 cracks in the face) more cracks showed up and then one split turned into a gouge ( which I tried to fill with hot glue) and two more splits/cracks have appeared. I had put a light coat of a light colored stain on it last night to see how it would react to the glue spots ( they are shinny) and now I will have glue all over the top. Not a really big thing since it will eventually have a gloss finish. My problem is the gouged area. How do I fix that? One thought I had was to buy some matching wood and glue it to the gouged area and then sand it down to match, but, top is really thing already. I could really use some input on this.

Thanks,

Gary

Attached Files:

2. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

SteMac a few years back had a device that cut a 3/16" (+/-) wide gouge with tapered ends and another tool (part of the kit) to cut the corresponding patch. It was for fixing cracks in spruce, but I'm sure would work with mahogany (?) as well. I haven't seen it lately, but they probably still have it. They have a very responsive help line.

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Thanks for the reply. It is spruce with a light stain on it. I will take a look at StewMac. I actually bought some wood today to do just what you are talking about, but, my plan is to file it to a shape that will fit the gouge and the plane it down to just about even then glue it on and sand it to an even surface or maybe even try using a cutoff saw?

Gary

4. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Gary, this may not be helpful for the gouge, but Dan shows how to repair a crack in a spruce top.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvP565-YJ_g]A shrinking pickguard cracks the guitar top! - YouTube[/ame]

-John

5. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Thanks John, Great great video. I got delayed from working on the problem tonight and now I'm glad I did.

Gary

6. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

He makes it seem so easy. Glad it was useful.

7. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Don't they all! LOL

Gary

8. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

Howzit going with that? I've got a cracked top as well and am curious. Embarrassingly enough, I do not have the the tool I described above. I did have it at one point, but it was expensive enough that after checking it out to see how it worked, i sent it back

9. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

It has worked out fairly well, but, here are few tips if you try this.

1. Be very careful not to over sand..... I did and the top was thin to start and as I was working on it 6 more cracks happened. Fun Fun Fun. I used CA Hot Glue and repaired them.

2. I bought, what I thought was the same wood. It wasn't and I tested it for stain and it seemed to work fine. I worked it in and hot glued it and then it wouldn't take stain. The glue interfered. Next time I think I will lightly stain the piece first to give it a running start.

And last but not least... I bought a 1/8" strip of Maple ( thought it matched) and then did nothing but plane and sand and plane and sand for hours to get it to work in to the top. I should have bought the veneer and glued it in place and sanded it smooth, but, the maple strip was less expensive. Stupid move on my part.

Now I have the top repaired, even and smooth again and last night I put on two coats of amber shellac and two coats of amber stain to get a base of color on the guitar. This weekend I will start the spraying process and hopefully will be able to end up with a smooth top with the repair not visible. That will be an interesting attempt on my part. My staining skills are non-existent. Hope this helps - see the before and so far pics.

Gary

Attached Files:

10. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Please take a look at the patch I did with the piece of maple. Tonight I sanded the damn spot with a 63 grit paper and it still won't take hardly any stain. it dawned on me, after several right in my face hints, that the wood is Spruce and, DUH!!!!, I should have done the patch with spruce and DUH! it would take the stain and DUH DUH DUH DUH!!@!!!!