Wont Play In Tune

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by TIC, Oct 10, 2017.

1. TIC

TIC New Member

Hi folks, i been away from the forum for a while. all my time logging and milling lumber to build a new house. plus some nice walnut and cherry. getting back to the subject, i built this practice neck to keep my left hand in shape. its got a full scale 245/8 fret board down to the 8th fret, i placed the bridge saddle right at the 12th fret 125/16. it tunes to standard open string no problem, but the rest of the frets are way out of tune. if i play a little tune just at the 1st fret not so bad, but the further up the neck you go the worse it gets. i was gonna make another one, with a little more thought to the body, and stick a pickup in also. but if its not gonna play in tune then theres no point. the one i got now is made of cherry, it has a beautiful bright sound and lots of sustain. what am i doing wrong, p.s. i tried to upload a single photo, it keeps error file to large.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

You won't get in tune playing this way, your scale length is effectively halved and your frets are in the wrong place now.

3. TIC

TIC New Member

your rite, i dont know what i was thinking, the frets would be half the distince. that should have been clear to me since i just finished a 23" scale neck. i guess im gonna use a fret cal. and lay out a 141/2 scale, witch wont lenghen the thing any, and its pretty close to a mandolin scale. thanks for your input. when its done, ill try again to up load a photo.

4. Leo

Leo Member

If you've placed the bridge at the 12th fret, then the frets you have should be reasonably in tune. It's just that you only have every 2nd fret for your new short scale length.

You have a whole-tone fretted neck instead of a semi-tone fretted one.

You'll need to add a fret in between each of your current frets. Make sure you use a fret calculator as the new frets are not just 1/2 way between your current frets, but slightly closer to the higher (bridge side) fret of each pair of current frets.