wide neck-pocket - is that a concern?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Santuzzo, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Hi,

I am not sure this is the right sub-forum, but I figured here are knowledgeable people who know about this, so I decided to post it here:

I got a new guitar (Yamaha Pacifica 611), but I noticed the neck pocket being a bit wide, I can easily fit two sheets of paper between the body and the neck on one side.
    Is that an issue? Or is it something to be considered acceptable in this price range?

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

From what I have heard and read, the neck pocket of a quality guitar should be very tight, for a better resonance. I am also a bit concerned about the neck moving in the pocket over time. So, I'm not sure if this is something I should return the guitar over or not?

Thanks,
    Lars

2. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

In a perfect world the neck has to be pushed into the pocket. However, I've owned several guitars over the years with that much gap and it's never been a problem. I have a Gibson Maurader that has great tone & sustain and there is at least 1/16" gap around the bolt-on neck.
    I would not worry about it unless it's an expensive instrument.
    It probably won't move on you but if it does you can always put some veneer between the neck & body to make it a snug fit.

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. otterhound

otterhound New Member

How does it play and sound .
    The single largest mating surface of a screw on neck is the bottom of neck heel to top of neck pocket .
    This is the most important point .
    If it is a great sounding and playing guitar that fits you like a glove , would you actually return it because you can fit 2 pieces of paper somewhere ?
    After all , would you keep a turd just because it has a tight neck-pocket fit ?
    It is so easy to overthink things .

Santuzzo likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it.

TKOjams and Santuzzo like this.
  5. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

No worries, when CBS took over Fender they built 10's of thousands of Strat's and Tele's with HUGE gaps. You could stack 2 or 3 picks together to fill the gap. 3 bolt neck joints that would eventually shift so far the side to side string alignment was off, way off.
    Many times when repairing a loose neck correctly the gaps would shrink or go away completely and guys would come back asking "What happened to the little gap there? That was my pick holder!" Seriously, that happened more times than you would think...
    If you like the guitar then keep it.

Santuzzo likes this.
  6. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Thank you, guys!

Yes, I might be over thinking and over-worrying here.
    I did not know this is common even in more expensive guitars. But since the guitar sounds and plays just fine, I guess I should keep it :yesway:

7. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

Bolt on, no big deal
    Set neck, big deal

Santuzzo and Duplex Dave like this.
  8. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

^^^
    Good point!

Santuzzo and TKOjams like this.