Where To Find Ancient (first Ever) Guitar Plans?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Wylon, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Wylon

Wylon New Member

So I was thinking of trying and build one of those ancient guitars like from 15th century which was made at the beginning of the Renaissance..

Or maybe something newer but still among the first ones ever. Like for an example the one made by Antonio Torres around 1850.

I read on various places like here http://www.musicalien.net/guitar-history/ about various ways the guitar changed over the course of time.

I am not really interested in any guitars made before Renaissance since those did not look or feel like the guitars we know today. So what I was wondering is there any resource on the internet where I could look at how those various guitar shapes were made and their plans.

Also, I would need to know are there any specific wood types those guitars needed and what to use as strings since I want them the way they were and the steel strings are not really an option for anything made before the 1900s.

Thank you, everyone, in advance!

2. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Sorry to nitpick, but the 15th century hardly qualifies as ancient. Nevertheless, finding any info on construction techniques and materials from the era, might be very difficult, especially on the internet. There might be some books written on the subject, but I imagine they would be very hard to find. My Dad used to have a very large book on the history of stringed instruments, but I don't believe it delved into construction techniques very deeply. I'll have to ask him about it.

It would be interesting to know what you find out.

3. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member