What's going on in rockdog's shop

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by rockdog, Jun 1, 2013.

1. rockdog

rockdog New Member

Hey guys, rockdog's got a new project in the works.
    I badly want an ES for quite some time, but like the smaller LP size version much more than the huge 335. And because to buy one is only half of the fun than to build one, you know how this gonna end? So this will be my own version of an ES-336.

I'm still working on the plans and the specs for it, thinking about a bucker in the bridge and a P-90 in the neck, maybe 2 P-90's, I'm still undecided. Already found this nice maple, thick enough for a (hopefully) nice carved top.
    Mahogany body, laminated neck maybe. Simple, elegant, versatile.
    We'll see what the next months will bring...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LC100

LC100 New Member

If your past builds are any indication of what's to follow then this should be a treat.

Knarbens likes this.
  3. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Oh yeah ... gonna be awesome!

Maybe that's something for you?
    DiMarzio DP167 Soapbar P90
    DiMarzio DP210 ToneZone Soapbar Humbucker

[​IMG]

Rob.Mcdougall likes this.
  4. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

A friend of mine has an ES 336. As you said, its about the size of an LP but looks like the 335. It just feels really right. I have 335 style Hamer which I like a lot, except that it feels like you're hugging a piano or something - especially if you sit rather than stand. I'm anxious to see how you do this. Aren't the Gibsons made by forming plywood over a mold? Are you going to carve the underside of that maple? Anyway, it looks great!

5. rockdog

rockdog New Member

Frank, that's a nice PU combination. I'm leaning more towards 2 P-90's, but I'm still unsure which ones to use. I have lots of time to decide until the body is ready for the PU cavities and knob positions.

@ jcsimons: The 335 are laminated constructions while the 336's have a one piece body back with maple top.
    I agree with you, the 335 is for sure a sweet axe, but for me it's just too much guitar, not so comfortable to play than a 336 or 39. That's why I build the smaller version.
    The maple top will also get a carve inside, yes.

6. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

This will be a sweet build; I want to do a 336 some day.

7. aeleus

aeleus Active Member

I'm eager to see how this one develops. I have an ES 335 on my list of "to build", but had never heard of the 336. The 336 seems like a better configuration and, in many ways, an easier build - no veneers to bend, no kerfing - just carving solid wood. I'm more accustomed to that, and I can incorporate things like a tummy cut.

8. rockdog

rockdog New Member

I managed to start with a few things this weekend:
    Top glued together and a slab of mahogany for the body already carved out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some thoughts about the control layout. 2 volumes, one master tone and a 3-way switch with 2 P-90's
    [​IMG]

Eeek, what a mess...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice piece of ebony for the fretboard, simple dot inlays in combination with a single layer of binding, steel fretwire, that's it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to come.

9. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

10. Blackdog

Blackdog Member

That is going to be very nice ! Considering your usual hyper-clean building style it will be a killer instrument !

I will probably try something similar soon, but I'm inclined to use the same outline and size of my double cut design.

I have a design that I never attempted to build yet of a slightly larger body version, 336 sized. But what always stops me is that I have not identified a suitable case for this intermediate size.

Have you found any source for 336-style hardcases ?

Will follow this build with great interest !

11. rockdog

rockdog New Member

Thanks Blackdog! It's coming along nice, at the moment I'm working on the fretboard binding, this will be finished soon and maybe I can start carving the top at the weekend, wheee :)lol:), this still gives me some headaches.

Yes, the problem with the hardcase... About 2 years ago (ouch) I started a Junior case for my first semi-hollow, built out of GRP, it's still not finished, stored under the bed and collecting dust. It's about 3/4 done, but I cannot finish it, it's as dull as ditchwater.
    And it's so damn expensive with all that extra stuff that you need for a case build, the intereor plush (nitro safe), the hardware, the foam inside, eeek, I rather work on my guitars and buy a case instead (or mod it, that's another option).
    Sadly my 336 is a tad larger than a LP, so a regular LP case is out of question.
    Maybe one day I'll give another case build a try...

12. Blackdog

Blackdog Member

Interesting ! I never even tried to make a case. Just like you said, I'd rather build guitars and buy a decent case already made.

13. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Some Les Paul cases seem to be a little larger than others.
    I think it was Gator with some space ... not sure whether it's big enough though!
    Guess a 336 is not just a tad wider?

14. jcsimons

jcsimons New Member

I bought a new brown leathery looking case last year from a guy in San Diego via feeBay - didn't like it (even though it was pink inside!) because the LP moved around too much inside of it - it had about an extra 3/8"if you pushed to one side. It was only about $60.

15. rockdog

rockdog New Member

As you can see it's a bit wider than a LP body, but doesn't fit in a regular LP case. I'll think about the transportation problem when it's finished.

[​IMG]

some fretboard stuff

[​IMG]

Blackdog and Knarbens like this.
  16. rockdog

rockdog New Member

Some progress:
    fretboard done, for sure stainless frets and tortoise sidedots, yum yum

[​IMG]

today I started with the inside carve of the maple top (and I hate it!), my job for the next days...

[​IMG]

already sanded it a little bit, still so much to do

[​IMG]

jcsimons, Blackdog, Knarbens and 2 others like this.
  17. bgetraer

bgetraer New Member

Nice Work!

:thumb:

18. Blackdog

Blackdog Member

Super clean as usual ! Great work ! :bowdown:

The carving of the inside of the top is looking good, but seems to be a bit of a pain ! I was planing to do something similar when the time comes to make my hollow body, I'm very interested in your experience !
    Do you plan to carve the inside of the mahogany back too or you're not crazy enough ? :hmm:

19. rockdog

rockdog New Member

Thanks Blackdog.
    Well, after I routed the rough steps I was really disappointed cause it looked so horrible, and at that point I badly regretted it that I did it. But now after about 3 hrs of sanding it looks ways better... and smoother.... and I think it's nearly done - inside, phew.

Sanding the outside of the top is IMO ways easier than the inside, but you run the risk to sand through or getting too thin when you have both sides carved.
    Before I start to carve the outside I'll drill some small holes for the knobs and f holes, so I can control the thickness of the maple a little bit. That's my plan for tomorrow, we'll see if it works.
    No carve of the mahogany back, neither inside nor outside, no thanks!

20. bgetraer

bgetraer New Member

an outside caliper like such:

[​IMG]

can help you track the thickness of the top as you carve.

nice work, looking mighty fine so far!

benjy getraer