Use Of Velcor Or Drilling On Accoustic Soundboard To Mount Synth Pick Up And Unit

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Jeffrey, May 12, 2017.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Greetings Folks,

I would like to mount a Roland GK-3 synth pick up (and its plug-input unit) to my Ovation CS257. Double-backed tape is typically used on acoustics (to place the special pick up positioned almost next to bridge, per specs on location) while the plug unit (about the size of a silver dollar) is mounted on edge of soundboard face via bracket placement under the strap rear pin. However, the curvature of the Ovation's bowl might put greater pressure on the face if using the rear pin for mounting the bracket, which seems wise to avoid--maybe a rubber wedge would compensate.

As an alternative approach, I've seen a video of someone who had mounted on a box acoustic the GK-3 pick up and plug unit using Velcro; while it seemed to be workable in terms of keeping everything in place, he only had it on for a few days.

My concern is about periodic removal of Velcro to replace it (as it loses its latching properties over repeated pulling apart); in particularly, I am concerned about the strong adhesive on the Velcro, when replacing it, lifting up the finish layering on the soundboard, maybe even leading to damaging the wood. Any thoughts on whether this is likely to happen?

Of note, I edited this post about possibly drilling: It occurred to me that repeatedly removing the plug from the input unit would excessively pull on the thin sound board, maybe even lifting away part of it.

Last thought, is there a thicker 1/16" or so double-sided adhesive padding that I might use without risk of surface damage when regularly replacing--very mild in adhesiveness and chemicals to surface? (I'd have to cut a section broad enough for the silver dollar sized unit, if something might come in that size.)

Thank you for allowing me to post on the restoration forum as I thought you may have insight on a surface issue lifting up the Velcro or double-sided tape when regularly replacing.

Much appreciative of your time in reading and/or reply, Jeffrey.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New Member

Update on mounting of sythn unit, I found another YouTube video of someone who mounted the same unit with "foam tape" for over a year, and it removed without any surface damage . . . this should allow for adequate holding of the unit to the soundboard but safely pull away (in case of unintended tugging on the plug unit).

The problem is I am not sure what "foam tape" is . . . the YouTube post is a bit dated and my inquiry post to that party may not be read. I'll ask of Glue forum about "foam tape."

No further reviewing/replying to this forum's post is needed, but thanks to those who have read before to help--Jeffrey.