Truss Rod Noise

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Knarbens, May 6, 2017.

1. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Hey everyone. I decided to post here, because it's not a repair, but on a neck of one of my builds.

I use two way adjustable double rods like this one. When I install them I make sure both anchor blocks an the top and back fit in tight and I also insert some silicone in the slot.

Still one neck has quite some rattle to it when I knock along the neck. That happens when the truss rod is loose or adjusted to create a back bow. When I tighten it in the other direction the rattling is gone, but the trussrod will propably never been adjusted that way.

May question is: Is there a way to fix this? I have not installed the frets yet. Any help is much appreciated.

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Only thing to do is take the fretboard back off with heat. Board might curl up but it's not hard to flatten back out. I would probably put some thin foam behind the rod, right in the middle.

3. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Or wrap it with tape.

4. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

You can also inject some thin silicone. In America it's the silicone you can get at an auto parts store for sealing windshields. If you have a fingerboard dot or inlay in the center of the neck knock it out and drill down to the rod, sometimes you need to do this in 2 areas. You can also go through a fret slot. Find a plastic syringe with a metal tip. You can also thin it down even more with some Naptha or other solvent.

5. Knarbens

Since the frets aren't in yet, I'll not remove the fretboard, but try to fix it by drilling into one or two fret slots.

I did a test today. I thinned down some silicone with mineral spirits and pushed it through a hollow needle. Worked quite well.

The only problem I found was the thinned silicone doesn't stick to wood very well. It dried a bit briddle and I fear it could fall off one day in the truss rod channel?

6. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Fall to where? You realize there is almost NO ROOM in the channel? If it did, so what? You are overthinking this.

7. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it unless it did become an issue. You probably have years to never before anything happens.

8. Knarbens

So I was able to silence the truss rod.

Took me multiple attempts. I couldn't succeed with small holes in the fret slots, but was able to insert a fair amount of thinned silicone through a whole I drilled from the bottom of the neck heel.