Too Much Natural Back Bow On A Strat?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Axore, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Axore

Axore New Member

Hello!

I've recently bought a used mexican strat and the neck has some issues. When I put .10 or .11 gauge strings this happens: When loosening the truss rod to put forward bow or straighten the neck, the nut comes right off and the neck is left with a back bow. Because of this, I'm stuck with only using .12 gauge strings to make it bow forward and not have it buzz. I should mention that from what I've noticed, I think the nut tightening does put back bow on the neck so the rod is probably working.

I've been asking people left and right, online and in real life, friends and luthiers and I still can't get a consistent answer about what I should do. Some say I should clamp down the neck and put a heavy gauge string and make it bow naturally like that for a few weeks. Others say I should steam it. Some say I should just replace the nut or try a new washer inside. Some say I should somehow try to turn the truss rod and see if it's actually visibly turning inside. Others say I should drill a hole at the end of the rod to see what's up inside.

I'm kinda lost here. I'm not ready to pay $400 on a replacement neck. I want to know how I could diagnose this first, at least before taking it to a luthier in a different city.