Tom Bartlett '59 Plans

Discussion in 'Plans, Designs & Software' started by Renkenstein, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Man, Tom is on it this time of year. I ordered my '59 plans last week and I got them in the mail Friday.

I did not expect those HUGE plans to arrive in such an unassumingly small envelope. These things fold out close to 6' wide. I promptly hung them on my living room wall, and stared at them forever. You can tell a lot of work and skill went into these.

So I figure I've been going about this all wrong. I could continue to work on my own design, and make up process as I go along, but I think I'll keep experiencing failure until I've got a legit successful build under my belt. I've tried making my own templates and plans, which are accurate enough on paper, but rarely translate well onto wood.

My new gameplan is to switch gears and work off these set of plans(with minor alterations and personalization, of course), and see where that gets me. I've always wanted a 'Paul anyway.

francis and juan like this.
  2. Mule

Mule New Member

My first and only build was off the Stew Mac Plan. Turned out ok.... but I made some rookie mistakes... it was also before I knew about MLP.com and now this site... I come in from work everyday and check both these sites.... I'm like a kid in a candy store.

Anyway... Tell us more about your Build...what are you planning????

3. Renkenstein

Well, I've always wanted a 'Paul with a maple board. I've cut stringers to do a hog/maple/hog 3 piece neck, and I had several lengths of mahogany that I jointed and glued into a 5 piece body(I know...but I'm using what I've got!). I've got a mildly figured piece of curly maple that I'll bookmatch for the top.

Pretty standard stuff so far, except for the 3 piece neck and maple board, really.

4. Mule

Mule New Member

Sounds good.... Smart... cause all I've read from many, many post is that everyone makes mistakes... some tiny... some huge.

The smart thing to do is, well .... what your doing.... have a learning curve sort off... use what you've got for a build and see how it turns out.

My first build I only had .... Hmmm roughly $375 total. Watched my cost and got most everthing off Ebay. Knew I would make mistakes.

I'm assuming this is your first build...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. Mule

Mule New Member

I'm already looking forward to my next build. Hopefully in the next few months. It will definitely be using the Barlett Plan.

I've learned a lot since my first build... Still have a lot of questions.

perroverde likes this.
  6. Renkenstein

This will be my 3rd attempt, actually. I tried to wing a couple full size guitars using my memory from previous experience, but I torpedoed each with mistakes that could have been avoided. I was going off my own design and using methods and tools that weren't well suited for the task at hand.

I've learned a lot from those mistakes in the last 6 months, as well as from reading forums like this and MLP. I figure going from a great set of plans, and referencing the many LP builds documented between this site and MLP, I'm bound to get better results....right?

7. Mule

Mule New Member

Get on YouTube an watch Scott Wilkinson's video's.... It helped me... In fact, It was through his video's that I stumbled across MylesPaul.com

Scott goes by the name "ExNihilo"...

And.... Yes.... To answer your question... I believe you'll get better results, If you stick to the "Bartlett Plan"...

Also, Having the right tools will help a lot.

Hope this helps.