Thinking about building a router table

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HEADKNOCKER, May 30, 2015.

1. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

Worked a bit on what is going to be the adjustable rip fence for the router table so I can make some trim or baseboards with this setup...
    Still haven't cut the fence in half yet..
    The thread all with the wing nuts with the hold downs in slots should give me what I want
    [​IMG]

2. HEADKNOCKER

Here's where I have it for now!!
    I was planning on making up some feather boards but never got around to it..
    Also want to make a vacuum port..

Went ahead & cut the rip fence in half & mounted up the hardware somewhat how I had it laid out in the last pictures, added a couple threaded inserts for the feather boards, got the channel shimmed for the miter from my table saw..
    TKOjams is gonna mail me a piece of polycarbonate to take the place of the pancake stack of PlexiGlass/Sheet Metal I'm currently using..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. HEADKNOCKER

Homemade Router Table Build Complete

Worked a bit on my Router table Build again today for a little while..
    Made up a starter pin for free hand work, made up a clear adjustable guard from a old refrigerators crisper & used the rest for dust catching & scrap storage underneath the router, & made up a dust collection system for my Shop Vac, Note that I put a white spacer behind the half fence that's moved forward so it could be flat for the attachment to work & a rubber washer on the other guard up front for when it's offset 1/16"..
    Also put a 1/4" steel flat bar brace across to stiffen the assembly..
    It all seems to work pretty darn well if I must say so myself..
    Now I need the piece of polycarbonate & a few taller router bits & I'll be in business..
    Total Cost was $20 for the Router, Everything else was scraps & hardware from the shop..

Need to score some wood to start my 1st Guitar build after I finish the three project guitars I've got going currently..

Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite M-III
    Jackson DK2M Pile-O-Skulls
    Hondo II LP Custom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

poly cut, it will be shipping out this week.
    the sheets were stacked atop each other so there is some light scratching.
    Because of this I'm sending you two pieces cut to 12 1/4X 9 1/16
    Peace,
    Ken

5. HEADKNOCKER

Ken Thanks Buddy!!
    An extra could come in handy if I mess the first one up anyhow? You never know..
    They will get scratched all the Hell up anyway when I run wood over them again & again!!
    I have the table up & running & used it this morning to join two edges for glue up & it was smooth & no mess..
    Still need a few 2"+ 1/4" router bits that I'll probably score @ Home Depot ..

TKOjams likes this.
  6. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Ken you're a good man.
    Gary, I'm getting inspired to get my shop together by watching your project.

TKOjams likes this.
  7. HEADKNOCKER

Thanks!!
    I put two pieces of small PVC pipe one the two aluminum adjusting nuts for the fence hold down this afternoon as it was a PITA to get to them & now they are long & giant..

Great Info your giving to that guy with the Hamer Headstock Break!!
    I'm following His progress.. Bondo..HaHa..
    I'm an old bodyman.. Comes in handy sometimes..

Got most of the tools put away & vacuumed the sawdust up yesterday..
    Tidy up just a bit as it was garbage night..

8. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Wow...this turned out really nice! I still don't have a workmate, and look at all it can do!

I diggit.

9. HEADKNOCKER

Oh it's just about finished as far as being a router table goes..
    I'll grab some pics in a few.. It's 12:30am & I'm tinkering in the garage..
    TKOjams sent me some carbon fiber sheets that I'm fitting to the mount of the router now, just came in to get four longer 8-32 allen screws & some loctite 242 from my basement stash & get a drink..

TKOjams likes this.
  10. HEADKNOCKER

Plywood Routed for the depth of the polycarbonate, I'm anal & it was a different thickness at all four corners so I routed the thinnest first & then segmented the cuts into 1/4s so I could get the sheet exactly level with the base top, It was only off by a few thousandths BTW..HaHa!! I used a square & a digi caliper at each corner to get the specs.. Four longer 8-32 screws, then drilled & countersunk the holes & also drilled for the starter pin.. I let the router itself make it's own hole in the center, If later I need it bigger I have a little fixture for making door knob holes I can clamp to it & use 1 7/8"- 2 3/8"..
    I will have to say this stuff works easy but is tough.. KILLER!!
    TKOjams sent me two pieces but I didn't ruin the first one even though I don't have a drill press..
    Thank You again TKOjams your a scholar & a gentleman
    Now to save up some money for router bits & WOOD!! :dude:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rhubarb Red aka Red Hot Red
    [​IMG]
    1994 Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite M-III

11. TKOjams

Lookin' good, Dude!!!

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  12. HEADKNOCKER

Well I knocked Dremel Router Base together tonight & didn't have the right bolts in my stash, So I cut two pieces of thread all & tapped the bottom plate for now, also had to drill out some wing nuts & tap them to 5/16-18..
    I used one of the lighted heads in my Dremel kit, I have two, plus the drill chuck attachments, I made my top portion longer & cut places for your thumb & first two fingers to grasp the mini router.. I used JB Weld to Epoxy the lighted head into the polycarbonate, drilled a 7/8" hole with a taper at the bottom..
    I'll get some tapered head bolts next trip to Home Depot/Ace, But for now it's pretty nice & blows away the junky one that came in the kit..
    I really needed this a while back & was just gonna make one from a scrap of plywood
    Thanks again TKOJams for the polycarbonate & the idea for this & my router table mount as well.. I owe you Man!!
    Might end up making a BIGGER bottom plate with a bit more flat surface area??
    We'll just have to wait & see how it works out for now..
    Gary/Hk
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TKOjams and JSH like this.
  13. TKOjams

just a quick note... cut off the handles at the top, you don't want to hold it there. You will get MUCH better control by holding the rods closer to the bottom plate. If you use those handles that thing could become unwieldy and quite dangerous.

14. HEADKNOCKER

Roger that!!
    We'll look into it!!