The Cable Is Stuck

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Axeman270, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Axeman270

Axeman270 Member

So I pretty much never play my Gibson LP, but decided to pull it out today and do some recording in my DAW. Finished and went to put the guitar away to find that I can't remove the cable. It's stuck. After pulling on it a few times, I didn't want to risk wrecking the guitar as its still near mint, so I unscrewed the plate to look inside. Tried to force it out from the inside, but no luck. Any ideas?

2. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

A pic of the cavity might help. Did you try pulling the tip connector away from the jack with a pair of needle nose pliers? I'd also suspect something may have been pushed into the connector hole that jammed things up.

3. rgraf

rgraf New Member

Try twisting it. Also, penetrating oil. And look into using some kind of contact cleaner/enhancer that prevents oxidation. Apparently, you live in an environment that is corrosive to the jack. You might find that the jack needs to be replaced. You've just found out why the old, beat up LPs sound so good: people played them a lot, and they didn't sit there, rotting away. The collectors who don't play, expecting the axe to appreciate the most because the guitar is unplayed, find this out the hard way.