Tapping Instrument Hardware, Wood Etc...

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Tatsu, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

All of the stuff for this build can be got at Lowe's Hardware store except for the string fasteners/lugs which I got from an electrical supply store. The Cherry wood was $11. I don't know, maybe I spent $50 buying the hardware, glues, etc... The most expensive thing is farming out the cutting of the wood which looks like around $65/hr from a Cabinetry/Woodworking shop.

First two images show the wood marked up on the face and the side.

The next two images show the iron reinforcement bars and where they go (they were out of aluminum).

The next image shows how the neck tapers from thin at the nut to thick at the butt end and the depth of the reinforcement bars on the back of the neck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    poro78 and Renkenstein like this.
  2. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

The first image is of a grounding lug bar which was the only thing they didn't have at Lowe's. I had to get it at an electrical supply store. It's for the string fasteners.

The second image shows everything for the build in one place except for the screws which attach the flat iron and flat aluminum to the face(s), and the screws for attaching the string fasteners, and the screws for the string "tree" rods. The image also doesn't show the half inch thick metal rod used as a "lap dawg" that allows you to play the instrument sitting down. And it doesn't show metal to metal epoxy.

The next image is a close-up of the screws and small tools used for the project.

The last image shows a close-up of; the wood, the grounding lug bar functioning as Steinberger style string fasteners, metal rod, flat aluminum bar, a "U" channel, 2 iron reinforcement bars, L "iron", and two wooden dowels.

Attached Files:

poro78 and Renkenstein like this.
  3. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

Hopefully tomorrow I can show the metal and wood all cut.

Renkenstein likes this.
  4. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

The metal has been cut. It was all done with a hacksaw in an afternoon. Easy.

Attached Files:

Renkenstein likes this.