Suppliers

Discussion in 'Wood' started by Broski, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Broski

Broski New Member

I live out in Tennessee and I cannot seem to find a reliable dealer for wood this way. I am new to this so I could be doing this blind.

Who are some of your suppliers? Maybe I can find one near me :fingersx:

2. emoney

emoney New Member

I have more luck via Ebay than anywhere. There's not many options in Tampa Bay either, that a person can actually get to while holding down his own job anyway.

If you ask your local flooring guys and/or cabinet makers they may have a source that's in your neighborhood. Lots of times, those same suppliers are the best place to buy stuff like Quilted or Flamed Maple because they don't have the need for it, as flooring/cabinet guys all want consistency. Never hurts to ask.

3. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

4. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

What are you going to build? There are hardwood suppliers just about everywhere.

5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Marc at Gilmer Woods is great. He'll talk your ear off but he's really good at picking the choice stuff. Not near you of course, but it's hard to find a better single stock of wood than Gilmer.

6. Tom Drinkwater

Tom Drinkwater New Member

Living in Maine I have a good source of domestic hardwoods from several places and my favorite are always the small sawmills but the best source I have for wood is Rare and Exotic Lumber in Maine - Rare Woods USA. Rory Wood, the owner, is a guitar guy and sells to a lot of guitar builders. Probably the best known brand is PRS Private Stock but he may also sell to Fender soon as they recently contacted him. His home location is in S. Africa but his location in Mexico, Maine houses an absolutely incredible stock of quarter sawn macassar ebony, zebrano, western red cedar, curly maple, curly cherry, steamed swiss pear, mahogany, teak, pod mahogany, bloodwood, e i rosewood, leadwood, wenge, panga panga, bubinga and many, many others. Rory also owns the single largest supply of pink ivory in world which is something of a peculiar claim to fame but in all honesty it's pretty mind boggling to go to his warehouse. His stock of e i rosewood guitar back and side sets number in the thousands and he also carries bubinga backs and sides as well as an ample supply of spruce tops. Last thing I knew his minimum order is $300 for phone and internet orders.

7. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Wood supplier who's last name is Wood? :scratch:

Nomen est omen. :D

8. Drake Guitarworks

Drake Guitarworks New Member

I've never ordered from this place, but they seem to have some nice stock...

Exotic Woods

9. Purelojik

Purelojik New Member

ive ordered from these guys. the guy who owns it is very nice.

for both of my personal builds i got the body woods from this place.

10. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Yes, they are good. Seems to be a very small operation, but they are helpful and friendly, and they'll process a piece in just about any way. I ordered a soft maple body blank from them and asked them to plane it down to 1-3/8", and they did for a pretty nominal fee. Like $5 or something.

11. Sawdust Al.

Sawdust Al. New Member

You want to try finding exotic wood over here in the UK. Its a nightmare finding anything other than Mahogany and not many places stock that these days.
    Does anyone know of suppliers in the UK that wont take your pants down :) ?