steel saddles fill and re cut ?

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by theMIDrange, May 23, 2016.

1. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

I've got a couple old tunomatics that have saddles that if filed flat and recut, Id be a bit low. So looking into various epoxies that would dry up super dense and hard like the original steel, so that I could recut the grooves without lowering the end string position.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CfupzecbCLE#t=63

any other products you guys have used?

2. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

Any particular reason you want to try to save these Tune-o-matics? I only ask because:

1) If you just want properly working bridges, Tune-o-matics are common and easily replaced as long as the studs are still good. You can get really nice TOMs for not a whole lot of money. Or you can get replacement saddles for very reasonable amounts of money.

2) If you are trying to preserve these bridges because they are special and might have value - i.e. vintage, special editions, etc., then I would think that what you are proposing would destroy that anyway.

3. theMIDrange

theMIDrange Member

this TOM is made in germany. There seem to be many varieties japan US germany etc and the replaceable saddles do not appear to be interchangeable? I like the sound current saddles give as well so..

I got some two part epoxy that is said to simulate liquid metal and dry hard so I can recut. I will try and report back.

4. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

hmm. yeah might be a leap of faith that replacement saddles fit all the varieties of TOM. However I suspect that the epoxy, and the recut, will affect the performance and tone of the existing saddles anyway. Not necessarily saying it won't work, but what you are doing definitely carries the possibility of modifying the performance characteristics of the saddles.