Slot file saw

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by gborelli, Feb 4, 2014.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Has anyone tried this? And if so how do you rate it? $34 on Ebay was thinking of buying it, but??????

[​IMG]

Thanks,

Gary

2. pfox14

pfox14 New Member

Looks like a decent alternative to nut files. Give it a try and let us know.

3. rusdfh

rusdfh New Member

Not to be negative but looks like a low end jewlers saw with welding tip cleaner for saw blade. Good idea but pretty expensive for what it is

TKOjams likes this.
  4. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

I agree. Having made only a handful of nuts, I would think that thing is cumbersome. I got 3 STEWMAC.COM : Gauged Nut Slotting Files .010, .024, and .042 at $12.95 a piece. I could do any nut with just the 3 files. I later added 2 more sizes in between.

Also, their nut and saddle vise it awesome. I was looking for a small vise, and this is comparable in price range to the cheaper ones out there and it is very well made. Makes shaping nuts a whole lot easier.

-John

5. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

What attracted me to it was the idea that a person might have a steadier hand if the nut were in a vise and of course the price versus a set of nut files. But if no one has tried it I would be inclined to pass from what I am hearing.

Gary

6. ralphed

ralphed New Member

I got a set of Uo-Chikyu files off evilbay or amazon, I forget which. They're nice and decently priced. I think they shipped out of Canada.

ralphed