Shop Lighting

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by dewittm, Aug 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. dewittm

dewittm New Member

I am building a new shop. It is going to be 24x24 feet with 8 foot walls to the rafters, insulated and temp controlled. I will be building arch-tops and acoustics for the most part with only a few electrics. Natural light will be mostly unavailable, what types of lighting would you recommend?

2. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Member

I put in a 14X24 lofted shop last year. The electricians put in 4' standard T8 fluorescents. I bought a 4' LED lamp at Sam's for $37. Feels like twice the light. One thing I'd change is to have outlets put in instead of hard wired light panels. That way I could move them around if necessary. My guess at where they should be fell short, and of course I changed my mind about the shop layout after I saw it in place. That's something for down the road.

Another thing I did that has proved very useful was to make a rolling platform for my contractor's table saw. Then I made a work surface that slides over the top and indexes on the fence rails. Now I have a moveable work surface with heavy duty castors that I can lock down and have a very stable work table. I plan on making another top that has T-slots imbedded.

Another uncompleted project it a plywood rack that is hinged to the ceiling. A pulley will allow me to haul it up parallel to the ceiling and out of the way. I have the aluminum angle from the local salvage yard, just haven't had time to fab it yet.

I wanted to protect the OSB floor, so I put down peel and stick, wood look, vinyl flooring. Picked it up on sale at Lumber Liquidators for $.32/ sq ft. A good idea.

And the loft is the best idea I had. All of the things that will need to be stored in the shop are in the upper level out of the way.

3. dewittm

dewittm New Member

THANKS for the input

4. Johnny Rowland

Johnny Rowland New Member

I bought 10 50 watt LED lights for my 24x30 shop, so much better than fluorescent !!