Saying Hi

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by mattnew33, Sep 19, 2016.

1. mattnew33

mattnew33 New Member

Hi guys, new here, i guess that makes me like everyone else in this section of the forum.

Joining because I like the woodworking, I like making and fixing guitars, thought I'd post a couple pics.

These are the first 2 truly playable guitars I've made. there are a couple others that were good experience, but it took a couple tries before we got everything right. plenty of goofs on these two but they are quite playable. I need to work more on my fretting and dressing skills for the fretboards. BTW, neither of these were kits, carved out of hunks of wood
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've been having some cheap fun lately buying busted up guitars on ebay as well. Seems there are a multitude of Epiphones available with damage that can be had for cheap $$. I got this custom for about $100, was able to put it back into working order in a couple days. I figure it will never be worth much but thought it was a good way to practice my joinery skills.

https://goo.gl/photos/aEdRnXmnC8wT2Kqj9

I think my next project is to repair an acoustic I picked up, and then its on to a full acoustic build. I've been really liking Gibson's new Walnut J-15 design and may do a build based on that.

2. EvilAsh

EvilAsh New Member

That neck repair is amazing!

3. mattnew33

mattnew33 New Member

Thanks EvilAsh,

I thought I did a pretty decent job, and quite honestly the guitar is pretty awesome. I got a $800 guitar for $100 and about 3 hours of work ... The sad part though is not many seem to agree, I was trying to turn this into a fun side business, buy a busted up guitar, repair it and sell it for $200 seemed like an easy idea, For the buyer an $800 guitar for $200 should be a decent deal ... I would think... but they don't seem to sell very well.. which is unfortunate. I don't mind keeping this one but it means I probably won't do too many more... I already have too many guitars to be loading up on a bunch of repairs. It would have been cool if I could have turned them over and passed them on...