Router Bases

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by rusdfh, Feb 19, 2014.

1. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

I pmed him a long while back..
    still using the crappy one that came with one of my dremels like this

[​IMG]

2. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

I may have used up all the good-will vouchers Dan issued....sorry folks.

3. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

^ Yeah, I think so, I PM'd him back in April and haven't heard anything. I'm local too, so no shipping hassle involved. I'll just save up for the SM one.

4. HEADKNOCKER

It was in april when I PMed as well..
    I'd make myself one but don't have the 3/4-12 tap, older dremels were 3/4-16 JFYI, to make the nose threads or any aluminum thick enough but will keep an eye out for both.. I wonder if I could make it from mahogany??
    When I get ready for my 1st from scratch build I'm gonna make some nice inlays & will need a good dremel/router base..

I guess if I google searched this I'd come across where TKOjams made his own from a scrap of polycarbonate & some bolts & the kinda hard to come bye 3/4-12 nut or tap he just used the factory dremel cap epoxied in.. Great Idea Man!!
    http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/190037-lets-see-your-jigs.html

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
    jkes01 likes this.
  5. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Yeah, I saw that back when he first posted. I don't have a dremel, but a ryobi with the flex shaft attachment, I think it's the same as the dremel.

6. HEADKNOCKER

I'll have to get a pic but I have what I thought was every Dremel attachment in a grey box, It's 10+ years old now & they have newer stuff now that I see..
    Mine has two flex shafts, two dremels, one is new, drill bit heads, light heads, saw, 90 degree adaptor, lawn mower sharpener etc. & several thousand bits + that junky router attachment shown above + a few more..
    I did see that Dremel sells an interface bushing for use with other brand tools for use with their gear but not flex shaft, here's the link..
    EZ Twist? Nose Cap / Model: EZ495
    They do offer a plastic Plunge Router attachment
    335-01 Plunge Router Attachment / Model: 335-01
    [​IMG]
    Router Table?
    231 Shaper/Router Table / Model: 231
    [​IMG]

I have a spare piece of polycarbonate that Ken/TKOjams sent me that I'm thinking about making me up one of these, My Dremel is different but the idea would be the same..
    That polycarbonate is sure easy to work with, it's amazing..
    I'm Gonna make one of these!! :dude:
    [​IMG]

7. AxeMaker

AxeMaker New Member

One of these with fine adjustments is only $53+ shipping and there is an edging attachment as well that is inexpensive.

[​IMG]

8. HEADKNOCKER

The Stew Mac Dremel Attachment is Nice!

Here's the one I ended up making..
    Prototype :metal:
    [​IMG]
    And the TKOJams MKII Dremel Router Attachment :yesway: With Built In Lighting!! :hmm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Works Way Better Than I Ever Expected It Too!!

Used a Scrap from the extra polycarbonate that Ken/TKOJams/Bouedreu Guitars sent me to make my homemade Router Table Base
    :dude:
    [​IMG]

9. AxeMaker

AxeMaker New Member

That first one is cool idea with the handles, but isnt that base too narrow and unstable? I thought about raiding the metal box and mounting something on the mill. But by the time I prototype, fix my errors and buy the hardware I could just buy the StewMac base and be done with it.

Plus with the edge routing attachment it all fits together nicely. The base also has a port to attach a hose to small air pump, basically an aquarium pump they sell at Wal-mart for $10, and it blows the chips out of the work area. They also have a circle cutting jig for it.

Check out this page. It has all of the stuff they sell for the Dremel.

10. HEADKNOCKER

It's not unstable.. It really works well in tight places..
    I thought about making a bigger base but never had too, It works pretty darn well the way it is..
    I like the Stew-Mac jig but would prefer to make my own & save the $50+

I made a edge guide for my $20 craftsman router with a scrap of 3/4" plywood & some thread all & nuts + a couple crappy cheap @$$ 1/4" deep well sockets.. Works great, Something like this but smaller will be in the works some day for the dremel attachment..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. HEADKNOCKER

BTW the handle idea was mine on the prototype router top but the size of the unit made it unwieldy & works best if grabbed by the threaded shaft near the bottom for exact control of the mini router..
    I still have it & will make my base with edge attachment from it when I get around to it.

ROCK ON!!

Axeman that LP in your avatar is BAD @$$ = Super Nice!!
    I hope to ever make anything even close to that spectacular