Router Accessory (guide)

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Paul, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Paul

Paul New Member

I need to route a channel, on the face of the guitar body, about 1/8" wide by about 7/16" deep & it needs to follow the shape of the guitar @ 9/16" on center.

Is there a guide that I can use? or something I could construct myself, so that I can follow the shapes (inward/outward curves on a Tele)?

Most guides (that I've seen) have a rail that would cause you to lose your distance from the edge on outward curves.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

3. Paul

Paul New Member

Thanks Sully!

That's what I'm looking for. I don't have a dremel, but I suppose I could break down & get one. I have a router, so I only looked through the router section.

:cheers:

4. Jim Engen

Jim Engen New Member

That's a pretty big channel if I'm understanding you correctly. The base Sully suggested might work but i bought one and used it to bind a headstock and wasn't impressed. Maybe for small channels in softer woods. The guys over at MLP suggested the binding router bit from Stew Mac to me and it works sweet. Cuts like a dream. With those dimensions you might save money by getting a rabbeting bit set for regular woodworking. i clamp this to the top of my table saw and run the body underneath.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    I apologize if I'm misunderstanding you.

Jim

Paul likes this.
  5. jonny

jonny Active Member

You mean like for purfling? So the wood on the very edge remains intact?

Paul likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul New Member

Here's a mockup of what I'm working on:

[​IMG]

Where the white is, I want to put 3/16" piping, so I need to have a channel, for the grillgloth to tuck into & then the piping to cover the seams, On the sides (outside the perimiter piping, I am going to also route a ½" radius & use white herculiner (liquid truck bed liner), w/ a final coat of paint & then seal it up.

In the image, the body, pickups, neck & gold hardware are real, I added the white, grillcloth (I am going to plasticize before attaching), drill holes & add 6" logo, laminate black elephant tolex to the pickguard. I'm going to use Marshall knobs & Fender gold locking tuners.

I'm not sure if I need to go that deep, I ordered the piping today & the ridge will determine the true depth, but for practical purposes, I wanted to give as detailed info as I could, for what I am after.

I need to route out a little around the bridge, so I can tuck the grillcloth under w/o affecting sustain by dampening the bridge to body bond.

This is my 1st custom guitar, so I am sort of jumping in full bore, but I have a lot of construction experience, so I don't believe I'm in over my head. The body, is a custom shop USA, that was kicked, because it had blem's. For this project, blem's don't matter.

jkes01 likes this.
  7. jonny

jonny Active Member

Sweet concept!

Considering the fact that you won't be stapling the piping in, you could cut the tab off if you needed to. It'll be a tricky route no matter what, and I can't think of a better solution than something like that stewmac jig.

One thing: Will the logo feel uncomfortable under your arm while strumming? I've never played a Tele so I don't know where exactly your arm would fall on one

Paul likes this.
  8. Paul

Paul New Member

I'm planning on using bits like these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Inlay,_...utting/Carbide_Downcut_Inlay_Router_Bits.html

[​IMG]

3/32-1/8" wide, but 3/8-7/16" deep....

9. Paul

Paul New Member

Thanks!

I'm not too worried about the logo, my palm might rest on the LL's, but it shouldn't be a problem.

10. crazygtr

crazygtr Member

This is very interesting.

Paul likes this.
  11. Jim_E

Jim_E Active Member

Why not use your body to make a negative template, (in other words, one that has a large hole in the middle the exact shape and size as your guitar).

Now position the template above your work and use a bushing to offset the bit in towards the center by 9/16".

Paul likes this.
  12. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Hey Paul, I have seen tweed tele's, but never a Marshall. Brilliant! Please share some progress pics.

-John

Paul likes this.
  13. jonny

jonny Active Member

You should make switch an amp switch too

Paul likes this.
  14. Paul

Paul New Member

Thanks...

I thought about that, but the Marshall switch is a big red one. Not quite sure how to resolve that. I've seen a Fender one, but Fender uses a small toggle. I've also seen the Fender use the jewel w/ an LED. It might be an option, if I can figure it out. It would be sweet, if they made a 3-way Marshall style switch. I might even put one as a dummy, maybe w/ an led as an indicator light.

We'll see.

15. Paul

Paul New Member

A couple things that are now coming up w/ this item as a problem.

* the distance of the guide. Doesn't seem to go too much farther than the depth for doing binding. don't know if it will actually go in 5/8"

* looking through the reviews:

I will give Stewmac a call this week...

16. Blackie

Blackie New Member

That looks cool. There may be a rectangular 3 position Marshall looking switch somewhere. The lighting up part is a whole different challenge.

Paul likes this.