Right Glue to Use???

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by gborelli, Jan 11, 2016.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I have two different acousic guitars that I worked on about a year ago or so and glued new bridges on to both of them and now both of the bridges are starting to lift off. So I am trying to find out what I did wrong. I sanded both surfaces ( top of the guitar) bottom of the bridge. I used Elmer's wood carpenter's glue and I used 3 U Clamps to attached the bridge. One dead center and one each on each side of the bridge and they seemed totally solid after the glue had dried. I let them sit for 3 days before I released the clamps. Could it have been the type of glue I used? What does everyone else for this? Please give me some feedback as I have them coming in next week for repair.

Thanks,

Gary

2. otterhound

otterhound New Member

What woods are the bridges ?

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

BOTH BRIDGES ARE ROSEWOOD. The wood on one guitar is mahagony and on the other it is spruce.

Thanks,

Gary

4. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Where are they lifting ?
    Yes , I am asking 1 question at a time on purpose .

5. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Not a problem, but the answer is really weird. One is lifting at back left corner and the other one is lifting in the middle front. I haven't seen the middle front one yet. I am picking it up this evening. I also remember on that one that there was damage to to wood under the bridge and I had to use a wood filler for part of the repair it that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Gary

6. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Filler . Sounds like you may have answered your own question .
    The other sounds like you may not have gotten down to virgin surfaces and/or a lack of glue .
    When you redo this , you may want to give the rosewood a swipe with acetone to remove any oils , although this is not typical with rosewood . More of an ebony issue , but it can't hurt .
    Assuming you are getting a good clamp , there are few issues to what you are doing . Just basic stuff .
    You want to squeeze out a bit of glue around the entire bridge , but not squeeze it all out .
    Cleanup is easy after about 5-10 minutes .