Renk - Siren Build Thread

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Renkenstein, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Pretty straight on my previous build!

[​IMG]

I hope people take your advice. I'm about to launch here soon. Hoping to get a 2 build run going in January or February.

paul1 likes this.
  2. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

OK that look fucking amazing.

I expect the solvents in the poly/oil mix are to blame for lifting the dye. I hope it didn't spoil any of your work.

Renkenstein likes this.
  3. Renkenstein

Thank you Heretic! That pic is the first coat. After the 3rd coat the dye stopped leeching out onto the applicator, so it's all good. It's just a hair lighter than the pic above, but that's ok, because it ended up showing more of the flame.

Thanks again for all your advice. The bevels are clean as can be, and that was the most important thing to me.

4. immortalx

immortalx New Member

Wow, can't wait to she her finished, man :dude:

5. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Dude! What's up? O.o THIS looks awesome! What a nice job! You're a pro ma men! So you applied more dye on the dryed dye and faded it with water before you sanded it back?

Again - just wow! How many hours til now?

Renkenstein likes this.
  6. Renkenstein

80 hours construction. I've been working on finishing for the last week.

This last week's work has just been flushed down the toilet. After the 4th coat and letting it dry for 24 hours, I tried to level sand and went right through the finish.

Dye had been leeching out of the top during the first 3 coats, and it was getting lighter and lighter, so I'm not pleased with the dye job as it sits.

I went and got some 120 and 220 sanding disks for my random orbital sander and I'm going to take it back to bare maple and try again. I bought a can of gloss wipe-on poly and I'm going to scrap the mixture I was using before, unless anyone can recommend something else I should try...maybe something in a rattle can that won't give my family cancer?

The oil mix looks fantastic on the mahogany and the dye-free maple, but it just wasn't working with the dye at all.

7. immortalx

immortalx New Member

Don't worry bro you have companion. I'm currently doing the third attempt at my latest build. Yes, i've stripped it down 3 f%cking times :realmad:
    If you don't mind the amber tone of Tru-oil, try it. You won't be dissapointed. It's dead easy to apply and doesn't react with stains. You just have to apply the first coat with a light touch (don't rub it heavily) to lock the color and then keep building the film with light coats.
    If I was you though, I would finish this beauty in high gloss 2K or nitro, but you need to have equipment for that

Renkenstein likes this.
  8. Knarbens

... or you could find someone that sprays finish on this beauty for you?

Renkenstein likes this.
  9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Like me :agreed:

Renkenstein likes this.
  10. Renkenstein

I just had too thin of a finish and the oil in the mix was really retarding the drying of coats. I've got a solid plan B that I have all the materials for, I've just got to get home and do it. Dye for the next burst has been sitting on the top all weekend. Found a great process for a thin wipe on poly finish. I'm optimistic and eager to get to it.

11. Renkenstein

[​IMG]

The oil/poly/spirits mix wasn't curing well between coats, and it was moving the dye all over the place. I gave it a couple days and tried to wetsand, which didn't go well at all and I sanded through. With this many bad things happening, I called it quits and stripped the top down to bare maple before the holiday break.

[​IMG]

Xmas brought me a doo-dad organizer, so now I have plenty of room for all that shit that was cluttering up my work spaces.

[​IMG]

I also got a gift card that I immediately spent on a 4 pack of these. They were on sale for $19.99, which is a price never seem to be able to catch. This time I did. Oh, I also got to rummage through my dad's screw bins and grabbed a metric ass-ton's worth. The antler was given to me by my brother, a skilled deer slayer. I'm going to try to cut some nuts out of it.

[​IMG]

2nd dye session. I let this sit for 3 days while I ran to STL to visit the fam.

[​IMG]

After returning from STL, I sanded back the dye into a burst.

[​IMG]

Learning from my past mistake, I decided to seal the dye under 2 coats of spray poly.

[​IMG]

After 7 coats of wipe-on poly.

[​IMG]

13 coats, and I'm calling it done. A little bit of natural light to show it off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled out the neck screw holes to fit a #10 and attached the neck.

12. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

13. Knarbens

Looks wonderful dude!

Renkenstein likes this.
  14. piman

piman Active Member

Hot dog! That's pretty.

Renkenstein likes this.
  15. Renkenstein

[​IMG]

A teaser shot. I still have to complete the truss rod and control cavity covers, but I cannibalized the Siren prototype to get this gal running. Final photos and review coming as soon as possible.

JSH and Knarbens like this.
  16. Knarbens

Are you still waiting for parts or what?

17. Renkenstein

Waiting on funds for parts. Need pickups and hardware. The build quality is so far beyond what I achieved for my first build, that I didn't even want to play the original anymore, so I robbed her of her hardware and pickups.

I still want to stick to the original plan of Duncan pickups, but I like the all black hardware on this. I may go with a brass bridge baseplate, and I definitely need the taller plate, since the fretboard on this one is a bit taller than the last guitar.

I'm finding it hard to fund my own builds, so I'm doing a lot of parts shuffling. This will be so much easier when I have a deposit, all materials, and a directional concept on hand. I'm working toward a first commissioned build, which will most likely be a bass. I've had a LOT of interest from a bass player, and I figured why not start where the money is. I've made it a goal to get some guitars out of my shop and into player's hands this year.

18. Knarbens

Sounds good! Looking forward to what you'll do! You got talent!

I thought the Hipshots have a brass baseplate?

19. Renkenstein

Thank you Knarbens!

They do. I meant unpainted brass. So it'll be a shiny brass baseplate with black saddles.

20. Renkenstein

[​IMG]

The time came to do something about the frets, and I needed some practice before hacking away at my EVO fretwire on my pretty MacEbony board. Luckily I had a well loved Ibanez RG560 neck laying around. The frets had seen over 20 years of my punishment, and were well dimpled. I don't have a crowning file, nor do I have a diamond plate, or a mill file flat enough for the task. I made a long sanding block out of Corian and ground the corners off a triangle file.

[​IMG]

A couple hours later, they're nice and shiny with no evidence of the previous 20 years of wear. I let it ride and gave Siren #1's frets the same treatment. I was surprised how easy this task is once you get it down.

[​IMG]

Day two of the fretwork weekend. I mummified the MacEbony board in masking tape and went to work with my caveman tools.

[​IMG]

Closeup after leveling and crowning. I also deepened the slots on the disposable nut to compensate for the minor loss in fret height

[​IMG]

The action is perfect for me. Zero buzz up and down the neck. I love looking down at this upper horn and seeing that clean dye line and the natural maple popping in between the darker woods. Nice little reflection in the top finish as well.

[​IMG]

I've got to ditch the Corian nut, so I cut into the antler my brother gave me. Whew....lemmie tell ya...smells like Bigfoot's dick. I sanded a side true just to see if there would be any pores or signs of weakness, but this stuff is as solid as can be. It'll work nicely.

[​IMG]

I'm really frustrated with my attempts to get a final photo shoot of this girl. I'll keep trying, but I don't want to post FINISHED photos until I can capture her properly. I may just call in a favor from a friend. I did take her out on her maiden voyage to band practice, where she received a right proper spanking. I could not be happier with the outcome of this guitar. The added scale length was just what I needed to tighten up my rhythm playing. I've always struggled with 12-56ga strings tuned to C standard. With this longer scale, it's tight and responsive. Thrashin' gallops and brutal chugs were no match for her. She plays beautifully, while mercilessly crushing skulls.

poro78 likes this.