Renk Guitars

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Renkenstein, Mar 18, 2015.

1. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Lil bit of a flood in the basement with all the rain we've seen in the Midwest. It led to a cleaner shop and a finishing/assembly bench expansion on the other side of the basement.

I will once I go "pro". Right now I'm just easing in there, and showing my progress more than revealing my whole hand straight away. Once I'm open for business, there will be some rearranging.

Knarbens likes this.
  2. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Silver linings and all that, I guess! My finishing/assembly bench is currently covered in everything except projects for finishing or assembly.

Renkenstein and Knarbens like this.
  3. Renkenstein

[​IMG]

Brass nut!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All shaped and polished up! Damn, that looks good.

...a lot better than that binding miter, but next time I'll follow Sully's advice and bind with acetone for an adhesive. I used super glue on the binding, and it's pretty unforgiving.

I've also gone and made a right mess out of my headstock. That'll need a cleaning...

4. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Very good job! Looks superb!

When it comes to gluing binding with acetone I heard of two different ways - with acetone only or with binding/acetone goop. I wonder whether acetone-only works good enough? Some people say yes, but I've never tried it before.

Renkenstein likes this.
  5. Renkenstein

I've always wondered that myself. I tried the goop on that ill-fated LP build, and it made a huge mess.

If I remember correctly, Sully said he just uses straight acetone and tapes it in place. It makes sense, really. The acetone would soak into the fibers of the wood, and not evaporate instantly. Once the binding is in place and pressure applied, that acetone would soften the binding and just squeeeege into all those pores.

In other news, I received my first deposit for my first commissioned build today. Building a Siren 6 string with a blue to natural burst that will be going to Canada! This will be the first time I can order every material and part and have it on hand so I can build uninterrupted.

12 week quoted build time. My enthusiasm is probably going to have it completed in a week.

tnt423 and Knarbens like this.
  6. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

I glue mine with just acetone, and then make goop for filling any gaps. I just posted a new video in my build diary where I spoke a little bit about how I bound the body with just acetone.

Renkenstein likes this.
  7. piman

piman Active Member

Is it going to have the bevel that shows the mahogany like on the other one?

Renkenstein likes this.
  8. Renkenstein

Yessir. Just like mine, only blue. Client wants a couple inlay touches, but other than that it'll be the same guitar. It will definitely have the mahogany reveal in the carve. I can get away using a 6" wide maple board for the top that way, and I think it looks really nice.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. Renkenstein

I've been rollin' along on this commissioned build going to Canada. I've been careful not to get in a rush on this and perform any task in haste. Deliberation has been the key for this build.

This is the 3rd Siren I've built and I've continued to adjust templates as necessary. As each task comes up, I look at my templates and see how they can be changed to work with my pin router. I'm performing tasks one at a time, but with the pin router there are processes that can easily be combined to further increase efficiency.

Anyway, here's about where I am on the build. The end of the month will mark the half-way point.

[​IMG]

Well, I was going to post more pics, but imgur isn't cooperating. Will try again later.

JSH and KnightroExpress like this.
  10. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Congrats on the commission build, looking great.

Renkenstein likes this.
  11. Knarbens

Looks good Renk! 3rd Siren? Didn't you do a 7-string Siren as well?

Renkenstein likes this.
  12. Renkenstein

Thank you much!

Well hell....it seems you know me better than I know myself! You're right, I have the Siren 7 awaiting hardware and pickups. The body is at the same stage as this build, but the neck has a fretboard, frets, and is ready for a carve.

...funny, I totally thought this was my 3rd when I posted that last night.

Knarbens likes this.
  13. Renkenstein

The two I'm working on now:

V design for my stage left counterpart.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and the most recent progress shot of the Siren going to Canada.

[​IMG]

14. Axeman270

Axeman270 Member

love the colors of the one on the first post of this thread. What method do you use for your beveling, a rasp, sander, or?

Also, a thought, I noticed your mixing it up a little with your headstocks. The original siren head tock stood out the most to me because of that extra part at the top where it goes back outward before curving back to the point at the tip.

To some extent it's on the arrowhead looking design of the last post. I would recommend trying to find a way to add that to your Parkeresque headstock to make it stand out from similar designs, kind of have it be your signature.

Renkenstein likes this.
  15. Renkenstein

For the bevels on the bouts I use a Shinto saw rasp, a sanding block with 60-80grit, and a card scraper. For the mini bevels on the horns I used to use a 4-in-hand and a lot of swearing, but I've recently bought a 45° chamfer bit that saves me a LOT of time.

16. Renkenstein

Long time, no update!

Man, this summer flew by. Both guitars made it out. The V made it in time for a show my band played, which was a huge success and raised a bit of money for a family in need.

[​IMG]

The second guitar was this blue Siren that shipped off to Canada this last Friday. It's still in transit, so I'm on pins and needles. The anxiety of shipping instruments is no joke. Here she is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I clear coated this blue Siren with Solarez, which has a bit of a learning curve, and experimentation is necessary, but I think it's a very valid option for those without spray equipment.

So now, I've got this empty-nest syndrome happenin'. Both guitars that I've worked on all summer have gone to their respective homes, leaving me in a shop with a million ideas and no real direction.

I'm going to be improving some things around the shop. I've got the start of a big-ass buffer thanks to my buddy Dan, once again. I'm also taking this pin router thing to the next level and starting some jigs that will allow me to rough in a guitar neck carve with a round-over bit, and I'm streamlining templates to increase efficiency.

I'm also working on a couple lil banger CBGs, one I'll be giving to my pop, and I'll be keeping the other just to have something different to dink around on.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    poro78 likes this.
  17. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Good to hear from you, thanks for the update.

Renkenstein likes this.
  18. Knarbens

Great to hear from you! Did you post photos? Can not see 'em?

Renkenstein likes this.
  19. Renkenstein

I linked to the images on my Renk Guitars website originally. I switched the links back to imgur, maybe that'll help.

20. Renkenstein

Carve top in Koa.
    [​IMG]

Back is black Limba.
    [​IMG]

KnightroExpress and jkes01 like this.