Removing Carbon Fiber From A Body?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by CHrisJScott, Jun 5, 2021.

1. CHrisJScott

CHrisJScott New Member

I recently purchased a Parker PDF 70 (one of the low-end guitars Parker produced towards te end of the company's life). I wanted to strip it down to the mahogany body so I could clear coat it and install chrome hardware.

I got as far as stripping the paint but discovered that the body is sealed in carbon fiber, as well (yes, I know Parkers are famous for this but I didn't realize that this later, entry-level model had it as well).

There HAS to be a way to safely remove this carbon fiber and get to the wood underneath. Any clever ideas how I could do that?

2. Cpt Adama

Cpt Adama New Member

Is it just the face that is carbon fiber or the complete guitar? Maybe if it's only the face it might be worth it. You could get some heat on it and eventually pry it off IF they used a normal glue to put it on. If they used epoxy and laminated it to the guitar I would say it going to be a fool's errand to get this off without destroying the wood below. It would be way easier and safer to just make a new body. You will need to wear a very good respirator if you cut into this, as carbon dust particles are very bad for your lungs.

3. rgraf

rgraf New Member

You need to find out what kind of resin they used to get the carbon fiber to adhere. Then you can determine what kind of solvent you need. It will likely be MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). If they just used epoxy, then you might need a different solvent. Solvents like MEK can cause immediate blindness if they get in your eye. As suggested above, if you try sanding it off, you'll need a good dust mask. However, sanding would be a horrible choice as the carbon fiber will likely be extremely difficult to sand evenly and probably require a ton of paper. Making a new body would be easier, perhaps. You can use the old body as a guide to make a template with a router bit that has a follower beraing on the end. You could try heating it with an iron, to see if the bonding resin would perhaps softewn and decompose to the point you could remove it.