Newbie Trying To Figure Out How To Resolve Fret Buzz

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by CHrisJScott, Feb 2, 2020.

1. CHrisJScott

CHrisJScott New Member

Hi, all!

I bought a Tele copy a while back for cheap because the neck was a little weird and I'm now, finally, trying to figure this out. It has fret buzz in the middle of the neck, which strikes me as odd:
    • Low E has buzz on the 9/10/11 frets
    • A has buzz on 3/5/9/11
    • D has buzz on 5/9/10/11
    • G has buzz on 5/9/10
    • no buzz on B or high E
    So, generally speaking, the 5th fret is a problem and the 9 to 11 area is a problem.
    Any recommendations on how to approach this would be much appreciated!

2. Gary

Gary New Member

You first need to see if the neck is bowed and or warped. You will have to get a straight edge with notches in it to make this determination. Any Luthier supply will carry this but you have to get the correct straight edge for the scale length of your fret board. If the neck is not straight you will have to adjust the truss rod depending which way the bow is in your neck to counter it and get it flat. If it is warped, that is beyond my skill level to give you advice on. Once you have determined that the neck is straight and not warped, you then have to check the frets with a fret rocker. There are plenty of excellent videos on You tube or from Stew Mac on how to level frets.

3. Kegs

Kegs New Member

If the neck is straight and the rocker tells you there are some high frets - a fret file/leveller will help get the fret down a little. It could also be that the fret is not quite inserted properly.

4. Norton

Norton New Member

I’ve found that maybe 80% of the time or more you can tap a high fret down.

Those brass fret setters are super helpful

5. CHrisJScott

CHrisJScott New Member

Delayed reply here (sorry) - appreciate the input here and will give it a try soon!