New Build experiment

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Jason720, May 22, 2016.

1. Jason720

Jason720 Member

Been a while since I've been on the forums but my boss gave me some 1 1/2" Oak butcher block counter top after a job we did last fall. I didn't really have a good use for it so naturally I said "Hey lets turn it into a guitar." Oak has very large pores and I'm carving a design into the body so I'll probably finish it with resin to make it smooth and comfortable.

Attached Files:

TIC likes this.
  2. EvilAsh

EvilAsh New Member

I've never seen a body and neck cut from one piece before, probably because I quite new to guitar building! Makes sense though if you want the guitar to resonate 'as one piece of wood' as I often read.

Love the artwork too, really wish I could do stuff like that :bowdown:

3. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

There are a few builders out there that do it. It's not common because finding a single slab with such good quality and straight grain for the neck is rare and expensive, especially in the more traditional hardwoods like maple or mahogany. But in oak, yeah, you can get away with it, and it will probably look pretty unique as well.

4. Djente

Djente New Member

That artwork is amazing, can't wait to see this finished.

5. Tonedragon

Tonedragon New Member

It is very hard except for the cambium layer which is soft, much like ash. Use a very hard sand paper backing...... I did .... well I used a piece of oak.