Need Help Wiring

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by gborelli, Jun 3, 2015.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I know zip about wiring a guitar and really need some help. I am restoring an Airline Archtop and have decided to add a Humbucker and volume and tone controls. The volume and tone tone controls came prewired on a pickguard and the Humbucker has 3 wires black, red and ground . I have attached a picture . So anyone who can tell me how to do this, please do so. It would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

Gary you say black red & ground but I see white red & ground in the picture?
    Without knowing the brand of pickups you have to ASSuME that the red is the hot going to the volume pot & the white/black? are the end & would go to ground along with the earth ground unshielded cable.. I have seen pickups where the white was hot & red went to ground as well..
    DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, Gibson, Fender, Peavey EMG, all use different colors for different things..
    I did a few searches & came up with these to try an help you out..
    Gary/Hk

wiring-diagram-airline
    http://harmony.demont.net/schematics
    www.ultimate-guitar.com/wiring-airline

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Thanks for the response. This is driving a little nuts. Yes Red not black. I downloaded a wiring diagram from Ibanez that is pretty much the same setup I am trying to do. The problem I have is the pickguard with the controls and the jack came prewired "ready to go". I have an inexpensive Gretsch pickup that has red, white and ground wires coming from it and I just don't know which ones to use. Also the ground wire from the jack is soldered to the tone pod so it is eliminating grounding anywhere else. Since this is an archtop I can't ground to the bridge, but, I suppose I could to the tailpiece. Here are the two diagrams. One is from Ibanez and the other I modified to look like the wiring I have now. Thanks for the input. I hope this helps to make it a little clearer. Also have a picture of the pickup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Looks like I just need to run a ground to the tail piece of the guitar, so either setup should work as soon as I figure out if the white or the red wire is the hot lead.

5. HEADKNOCKER

I would take my jumper wires & hook the red to hot & white to ground along with the bare wire & see what the output is just hooking it to a cord into a amp & tap on the pickups poles with a metal screwdriver, Then swap the red & white & see what the sound difference is? is one in or out of phase? hard to tell the difference?
    It's gotta be either one way or the other..

Your second wiring diagram doesn't look right to me? I can't recall seeing the tone cap inline like that as it passes thru it going to the tone pot & then the output to the jack looks to come from the tone pot?
    Look at the first diagram how the capacitor is grounded & the tone pot controls the amount it gets thru ground..Also the output comes from the volume pot, This is very typical wiring..

It might work as shown in the 2nd pic but IMO the tone pot wouldn't work as normal, More like a volume & would sound muddy or as if the tone pot was turned all the way down as the wiring runs thru the .223mp capacitor..
    That's just what I see, Just trying to help you out my good man..
    GOOD LUCK SIR!!

I have a wiring nightmare going on myself that I'm creating..
    A Seymour Duncan P-Rail with triple shot pickup ring with two micro mini switches, two fender factory single coils from a robert cray strat, center pickup is reverse wound, 1 master 500K master volume pot & a stacked 250k/500k tone pot , taken from a 62 fender Jazz bass, using .223mp & .047mp caps, 250k for the single coils, 500k for the humbucker, .223mp cap for the single coils & .047mp cap for the humbucker & also has a standard fender 5 way switch that i want to wire the neck & middle reversed to the switch so i can also create a tele tone = bridge & neck in #2, This in a Jackson DK2M Skulls project body I aquired a while back that I finally found the right neck for & got all the parts picked up to assemble.. I had to router with my dremel the body thinner for the stacked pot & then cut the two knobs in half & drill the centers to match the pots shafts, had to make a bushing insert for upper knob to be centered/concentric, see pics so far, haven't mounted the neck until I get the wiring nightmare finished..
    Spent an hour cutting them knobs & making the stacked knobs, making the tiny bushing inside the upper knob so it's perfectly aligned.. see pics..
    Used hack saw, grinder & dewalt cordless drill to create them knobs by hand..
    It's next up after I finish a Les Paul with broken headstock reglue/reset, sand, fill, paint, clear, nut, polish frets & setup, gotta wait on the paint & haven't even sprayed any on it YET!! Still sanding........

Also my youngest son broke his foot yesterday & spent all day with him & he can't walk now, he's 23 & 250lb..
    Crutches & Wheelchair, he's on my couch now..

Jackson DK2M Pile-O-Skulls Project :dude:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I genuinely appreciate your input. You are talking to one who has little or none of the experience needed here. I did try a test with with a chord to the amp but never thought of combing the red or white to the ground. The 2nd diagram is how the pickup and controls came wired. I have no clue that they would be right so I am going to follow your thoughts and directions and see what happens. I will post when I do. Been way too hot here to get and garage time.

7. HEADKNOCKER

I understand.. It was 120+ degrees in my garage today & maybe 135 up in the loft, I went up there to get a saw horse & a wheel chair & almost passed out in a minute..
    My son broke his foot monday & I added 5" to height of the chair in the living room by cutting some 3x4s & drilling them thru & cut some 8" thread all to make it happen, was soaked in 1/2 hour.. Also put a light fixture up in the guest bedroom & lightswitch, Wife is happy about these "Honey DO LIST" things..

Let us/me know when you get it up & running & if the other came wired that away don't change a thing, Just try it & see?? You could always change where the cap is from the tone pot to ground easy enough if the tone is deep/dark muddy sounding & the tone control doesn't seem to function properly..
    Gary/Hk

8. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Did test today and it is working this like this. The red wire is the hot lead from the pickup. I soldered the white and ground together and they will be soldered to the back of the volume pod. I will run a ground wire from the jack to the tailpiece, probably through one of the screw holes when I install the tail and that hopefully will take of and noise from the strings. Will post on this as I go. Will start posting pics next week when I start spraying the lacquer paint on. Using Amber, Red, and either Black or Jacobean for a burst and then Jacobean for the sides, back and neck.