Need Help, Please

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by zak, Jan 31, 2015.

1. zak

zak New Member

i want to know how to make a fretboard ?? i have the plan but i still don't get that the board above because I see 2 board in neck of the guitar... are they the same board with another color or the fretboard is just special board ?

2. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

what board above?

3. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

The fretboard is a different piece of wood from the neck. They are often a different type of wood because a wood that is suitable for use as a fretboard often isn't very good for the rest of the neck, and vice-versa.

4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

*usually, the fretboard is a different piece of wood. A lot of fenders have one-piece necks with skunk stripes to bury the truss rod.

5. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

I would highly suggest that you pick up a book on guitar making before starting to construct anything :) I'm sure others can recommend some good ones but off the top of my head:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Make-Your-Own-Electric-Guitar/dp/0953104907/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422770192&sr=8-1&keywords=guitar+building+hiscock&pebp=1422770202749&peasin=953104907"]Electric Construction - Melvyn Hiscock[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Build-Your-Own-Acoustic-Guitar/dp/0634054635/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1422770137&sr=8-4&keywords=guitar+building"]Kinkade Acoustic Building[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/GUITARMAKING-Guitar-Reference-Jonathan-Natelson/dp/0811806405/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422770137&sr=8-2&keywords=guitar+building&pebp=1422770147966&peasin=811806405"]Cumpanio - Acoustic/Classical Construction (this may be the wrong one....hmm)[/ame]

The freboard is usually a separate piece of wood, usually ebony or rosewood (while necks are typically mahogany, sometimes maple - common on fender one piece necks as heretic pointed out).

paul1 likes this.
  6. zak

zak New Member

thank you guys for sharing the information

7. Drake Guitarworks

Drake Guitarworks New Member

You can download free programs that calculate the fret slot distance for you, and print out a template that you can use to mark your fretboard blank with. Wfret fret calculator and template printer is the one I use. Use a fret saw to cut the slots where you marked, using something like a block of scrap wood that you know is straight, square and true as a guide for your handheld fret saw. Then mark where you want your 1/4" diameter dot markers to be (dots are the simplest and easiest to do for your first fretboard) by drawing an "X" with your pencil from one corner of the space diagonally to the other corner. Where the lines cross is where you should drop your forstner bit point that you put inside your drill press chuck. On fret spaces where you want to install 2 dots like the octave, divide the board in half vertically, and draw two "X"s. When you bring your forstner bit down into the wood, stay well short of 1/8" deep - maybe 3/32. After you've installed your dots, you'll need a radius block to sand the flat fretboard down to its radius. Be careful to sand evenly and consistently.