My first build

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by gborelli, Sep 12, 2013.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding truss rods. I have teamed with one of the guys at work who has this incredible ability to carve. He has carved out a nylon string, ( silent guitar style guitar ) for me and now I have the pleasure of doing the rest. The guitar is based on a silent guitar I bought a few years back. The neck is 19.25 inches long and I ordered and received a fretted fret board for it and now I need to order a truss rod and I am not quite sure what size I need. I have seen several on Ebay. So can someone please give me some ideas how long of a truss rod I will need for this? Any help is always greatly appreaciated. I will be posting pictures either this evening or tomorrow.

About the fret board I got in. It is very nice, but, it has white bone edging around it. Not usually seen on nylon strings guitars. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Gary

2. emoney

emoney New Member

As an example, I buy a 17 1/4" rod for an LP neck. I like, on the "vintage style" rods where the adjusting nut is at the headstock, to have the barrel nut (end) under the -19th fret on a 22 fret guitar. Thats for what's considered a long tenon neck.

3. otterhound

otterhound New Member

What wood are you using and is it 1/4 sawn ?
    Being a nylon , a truss rod may not be needed . A simple graphite or ebony insert will likely suffice if even necessary .
    Who gives a rat's about whether or not is is bound ?
    This is one of the best things about building . Make your own rules .

4. emoney

emoney New Member

Leo Fender didn't want a truss rod in his Strats either.

5. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

The wood for this prototype is redwood. A lot softer than I like, but, my friend who did the carving picked it, I imagine because it was easier to carve. I will be posting pictures tomorrow. I kind of feel the same way regarding a truss rod for this particular guitar. When you see the pictures I think it will help see what it really is. Pretty simple really, except for the amount of work that went in to hand carving it out. My Cordoba classical does have a truss rod but it is the first nylon string I have ever seen that does. Not saying that others don't. I am sure there must be more that do. But a lot of them have gone for years without one and are still in great playing shape.

6. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Or the Tele , for that matter .
    He replaced a few twisted and warped necks along the way and eventually went with a rod .
    I never thought about this before , but did the early PBass have a truss rod in the neck ?

7. emoney

emoney New Member

If I was a guessing man, I'd say that the '51 Precision Bass came with a truss rod, because of the 30ish Esquires (Tele's) shipped most of them were returned under warranty because the owners were worried the neck would warp or twist. Not sure how many actually did because I understand it was mainly the "fear of it happening" that prompted the changeover. I read too somewhere that the factory replaced both the body and the neck because they need a spot to be able to get at the TR without having to remove the neck to make adjustments.

I've got an Ambrosia "F-style" neck I made that I need to make a body for and I'm planning to use it without a truss rod. It was the first F-style, bolt on I made so if it does twist it won't hurt my feelings, but I'm curious to see if it will. I just need to make a body and I'm waffling betwixt Strat or Tele. Gotta finish this '59 and another build I started first.

8. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

pictures of the start of this build and a picture of the fret board I bought. Really thick fret board. At least a 1/4". So, what do you all think. Truss rod or no truss rod. It is a pretty simple and straight forward concept. Let me know please.

Thanks,

Gary

Attached Files:

9. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Is the neck/center 1/4 sawn ?
    If it is , I would go without a truss rod or use graphite reinforcements .
    Redwood is stiff enough for an acoustic top .

10. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I don't know and neither does the guy who did the carving. Any way I can tell?

11. otterhound

otterhound New Member

Easy .
    Look at the endgrain of the center piece .
    If it is perpendicular or close , to the fretboard as it will lie , it is more or less 1/4 sawn .

12. larryguitar

larryguitar Member

I'm not sure of the advisability of adding a truss rod to that, but I do know that it would be a tricky operation to slot that neck, at least for my skill and tool set.

Larry

13. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Yeah, I did a search on the web and found an explanation for it and a couple of pictures. I will take a look tonight when I get home. Putting one in or not putting one in is just going to be routering out the slot for it, but, if there is no need to do it then on a guitar like this, why do it.

14. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Hi Larry,

This may be easier than you think since the fret board has to be glued on top of this yet, i would be working with a basically open area. But like I said in my last post, if I don't have to I would rather not. LOL......

15. emoney

emoney New Member

Yeah, it won't be hard to put a trussrod in there since you're using a separate fret board. As a matter of fact, my vote is to go ahead and install one because you really don't want it to bend under string tension and screw up all the work to that point. They not expensive and installing one takes all of 10 minutes tops.

16. skeels

skeels New Member

Better to have one and never touch it than to need one and not have it.

The last thing you want is to put all this time and effort into a guit-box and never play it because the neck bowed and you can't adjust it.

17. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I think so too. The more I have been thinking about it the more I think I should. I do want to build a quality product. This build is to help the guy who did the carving. He is really having at tough time and I am going to put it on Ebay when its done and give him the money it sells for. So I really don't want someone coming back with a complaint that it failed. For you 10 minutes for me at least an hour to figure out how to do it in a half hour and then another hour trying to figure out how you can do it in 10 minutes.:rofl:

18. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Ok, I have decided that I am going to put the truss rod in. Now what? The fretboard is 18" long. There are 3 truss rods on Ebay I am looking at. Two of them are 17 3/8" one being a double truss rod and one is 14 1/8". What size should I use for this?

Thanks,

Gary

19. emoney

emoney New Member

20. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

The neck is 20", but I have to leave room for the nut and holes at the end for the strings.