lacquer on the neck of my Yamaha is splitting-how to fix?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Santuzzo, May 28, 2016.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

When I played it a few days ago the palm of my hand somehow rubbed along the edge of the fretboard and split the paint/lacquer loose on that spot. The paint did not crack, it's still there, but it's not sticking to the fretboard. It's hard to explain this, so I attached two pics at the end of this thread.
    This spot does not bother me cosmetically, I am only worried that paint will come off/crack and flake, so my question is how something like this would be repaired?
    The guitar is still on warranty and the store told me I can ship it in free of charge and all that, but it would take 3-4 weeks until I get it back.
    This is one of my favorite guitars at the moment, hence I was wondering if this would be an easy and inexpensive fix for a guitar tech? If so, I'd rather bring it to a local guy and pay instead of sending it to the store to have it fixed under warranty and wait a month.

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

since you state that it is still under warranty, I'm betting it's not a lacquer finish...Yamaha doesn't clearly state (at least that I could find) what they use, but they detail the in house product development and testing...

anyway, I'd let them deal with it, if nothing else so they can evaluate the cause of the failure (contamination most likely) and rectify the situation on future products...

if it were lacquer, the application of some retarder (or VERY careful application of some thinner) behind the delamination might work...careful wicking in of super glue might work...since it's new, just let warranty deal with it and if you like the guitar so much then request repair and not replacement...

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Thank you!

Yes, I will send it back and have this repaired/fixed under warranty.

4. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Looks like that fretboard is wafer thin, or is the camera playing tricks on me? :shock:

5. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

The fretboard thickness is pretty normal to me.

Anyway, I sent the guitar in, and the dealer forwarded it to Yamaha, so thye can take a look and hopefully repair it.