I Want To Add A Strat Pickup To The Middle Position Of My Custom T Armond's Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by motw, Feb 8, 2020.

1. motw

motw New Member

HI,

I have this custom made solid body guitar by a local luthier with TV Jones T Armonds and was thinking of adding a stratocaster pickup in the middle position:

- How will a neck strat pickup sound in the middle position? Will it work? I want options for a lead sound
    - Would a 4rth position work with the T armond neck and Strato neck together? I'm worried about volumes
    - What pot value should I use with the neck strat? I will change all the volume and tone pots for the t armond with 1 meg to add some brightness.
    - Finally, Which Strat pickup will fullfill my need? There are too many to compare, I don't want a noiseless one.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

well, here's some things I know... single coils typically utilize a 250k pot so 1m might be a bit bright.
    will a neck pickup work?
    a single coil combined with hb is going to cause hum unless you split the hb. the tv tarmond is 2 conductor ie unable to split.
    it would work in the sense that it will make sound, but it will hum as you'll have an odd number of coils going. need 3 or 4 conductor wiring to be able to split.
    might be better off getting a single size humbucker for middle. probably should pick something inbetween the dcr for either so 9 or 10k.
    cheers

3. Norton

Norton New Member

Don’t do it.

That guitar looks fantastic as is.

4. motw

motw New Member

GHI finally replaced the T armonds with strat pickups. 70a871ac-d8a9-4b78-8bfc-17a188381e31 (1).jpg

Norton likes this.