I Need Some Help

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Faustino Garcia, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Faustino Garcia

Faustino Garcia New Member

Hello Everyone,

New to the forum and I have been looking everywhere for some help. I just started getting into doing my repairs and refinishing on my basses but I ran into a road block. This bass is a survivor of Hurricane Harvey and belongs to a friend of mine that came to me for help to fix it. I scuffed the clear coat off to repaint the back only cause it sat in water and left a light, dull haze. I used regular spray can paint but i think i got one with a bad nozzle and the paint was coming out very blotted and now it looks like crap. Can i wet sand this off and try another can or is there another way to fix this? It looks like a black orange peel finish. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

2. GuitarBuilder

GuitarBuilder Member

Strip it off and lightly sand. I recommend you get guitar-quality spray paint from Stewart MacDonald (stewmac.com).

3. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Active Member

even with a high quality paint, a surface that is not totally smooth is normal, after its FULLY dry, you will need to "color sand" with 1000-2000 grit paper and some lightly soapy water, then buff the sanded surface with buffing compounds for a full glossy shine.