How To Remove Rust From Guitar Hardware, Screws And Pick-up Pole Pieces?

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by Santuzzo, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Hi,

I had left my black Sterling JP70 in a case for a few months, and oddly enough, even though I had left two packs of silica gel in the case with the guitar, when I opened the case a few days ago, the strings, the hardware (tuning heads), neck screws, back plate screws, pick-up pole pieces were rusted.
    The hardware is painted black, but it seems underneath the black paint there is some rust.
    The frets have some kind of greenish-oxidation on them as well, not rust, though.
    I attached some pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What would be the best way to remove the rust from the pick-up pole pieces, the neck screws, back plate screws, etc?
    How would I best clean the frets from the oxidation?
    I assume there is nothing I can do about the rust that's underneath the black paint of the locking tuners?

Thanks!
    Lars

2. Bloomworks

Bloomworks New Member

You could remove the screws, soak them in vinegar for a day or two, and then use a wire brush to scrape off the rust from the screw heads. The pickup pole pieces, you could try a little toothpaste on an old tooth brush, or use a tiny bit of metal polish with a Q-tip. Tuner buttons? Bummer, doesn't look good. Either sand off the rust, which means losing the paint, or replace them with new black ones. The back plate, if the rust is under the chrome, nothing you can do. Maybe Music Man would sell you a replacement. It's also easy to find new pickguard screws like the ones on the back.
    Hope that helps!!

Santuzzo likes this.
  3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo Member

Thank you very much!
    I think I'll have to either live with the tuners as they are or replace them, it's not only the tuner heads that are affected but also the thumb-locking-screws.
    I contacted Sterling (by MusicMan) but they don't sell replacement parts, so I'll have to look elsewhere. But I guess I'll be able to fins replacement crews in any DIY/hardware store. As long as they are stainless steel (and the correct size of course) it should be fine, right?

4. Rod

Rod New Member