How to calculate pre-intonated bridges.

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Tatsu, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

I'm looking at those Chapman Sticks that Emmett Chapman makes and he doesn't have bridges with strat style saddles that can have the intonation controlled. He has a pre-intonated bridge. What kind of calculations go into making something like that?

Also, I've been talking to Cigar Box guitar builders over at Handmade Music Clubhouse and they said that you even don't really need a height adjustable bridge. After you set everything up, it should be right. Of course they're the "do it yourself" folks.

In thinking about building my own "Stick" I've run into issues with cutting my own metal parts to create a high quality stickish product. I'm wondering why Emmett Chapman has both the nut and the bridge height adjustable but doesn't give any possibility of intonation adjustment. Seems he thinks the height adjustment is more important with a tapping instrument.

For the first Stick that I build, it would be easier if I forget about strat style bridge saddles AND forget about Chapman Stick style height adjustments and just set it up right from the start and go.

It'd be nice if someone could steer me in the right direction for calculating that.

Thanks,

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

3. Tatsu

Tatsu New Member

I guess I was looking at older ones cause I did a google image search for Chapman Stick but didn't go to his website. Anyway, the guys at Homemade Music Clubhouse told me that you can make preintonated bridges by using a temporary bridge for checking at the 12th fret for correct tuning, then pre-drilling where you'll put the permanent bridge.