Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Sully, May 16, 2013.
Really sharp, Sully. Like the point being offset like that, too. Very graceful looking curves.
I was actually looking for a picture of this on the google the other day and I guess the reason I couldn't find it was because I searched "sully 700 guitar" not "sully 71 guitar" hahaha. I'm really diggin the contours, 'specially the leg one.
Do you ever have issues with tear out when doing a binding channel in maple (or elsewhere) in 1 pass? It's something that's got be a bit sketchy about routing that channel...
Wow. Super nice.
Also, "Look, I found an awesome neck that has just been sitting around my shop for a year! I'll use that!"
All I ever seem to find in my shop that's been sitting around for a year is the junk from my last builds!
There wouldn't happen to be an awesome neck laying around your shop that I built would there?
Eh, don't feel bad; I took a little too much off of the back of that headstock, and it's back to being something that won't be used. G'arrrgh.
Any progress on this Sully, or do you have your hands full with building a compound radiusing jig...?
No new movement on this one, current goal is getting a few other things completed and off to their owners. Should have some developments relatively soon, though.
Oh sure, Sully. Take your time. No rush here. We'll just sit around twiddling our thumbs. Thanks............GGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
Priorities, man. Priorities. Oh, I guess now's when you throw in the "gotta eat, feed the kid(s)/dog/cat, keep the wife happy", blah, blah, blah. Don't you know by now that keeping us happy is truly all that matters in this world?!!??!!
Ahem....so, take your time. No rush here............
Slow goin' as always, but look who got a sealer coat today.
Hey Sully, what are you using for Sealer? Its awesome seeing the guitar put together. Lovin the design!
This is a plain 'ol lacquer sanding sealer. I hit it with two coats and will be adding the clear aqua coat grain filler that I'm testing out over the weekend. So far, I have to say that I like that stuff a fair bit; it's waterbased, dries clear, doesn't seem to require a ton of applications (about 2) and is sandable in 30 minutes. Once I get the grain filled, I'll be clearing it (and blacking out the headstock and stinger). I tried to get some good sunshine shots, but they're a bit washed out. Oh well, here ya go anyway.
You can see why the stinger has to happen on the back of the headstock; oops!
I'm toying with the idea of spraying the headstock face and stinger in a trans black, but we'll see how it goes. I think it might look neat. If I do the trans black, I'm kicking the idea around of painting the small bevel on the lower bass side edge in trans black as well. However, if I do, I have a feeling I'll want to do the forearm bevel to match, which I don't think would be a good idea. So I'll probably just clear it.
Love the contours on the back of that.
Sanded the sealer and started on the filling process. Additional pics at this point would look identical to what I posted the other day, so just imagine it with some clear filler on it.
The water based, clear grain filler that I was using wasn't working out well (witness lines), so I did what I should have done to begin with - send it to the lovely and talented Mike Learn!
It was suggested to me to use my signature as a logo, so I sat down with a sharpie and let 'er rip! Mike sent me these pics today:
It's an odd feeling seeing it in this state; I've built guitars, sure, but this is one I created. I can't wait to get it back and get it all together.
Looks awesome Sully. Maybe when I get my booth running we can work something out to keep your finishes somewhat local
Thanks man! Let me know when you're set up for finishes, as I'll definitely have stuff to send your way as well.
Wish I had someone to do the finishing work for me ... or at least the polishing.
Love the new logo!!
Separate names with a comma.