Hello LuthierTalk!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Renkenstein, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Renkenstein

Renkenstein Well-Known Member

Howdy! I'm Renkenstein, or Patrick Renk, or just Renk...whatever y'all prefer. I'm a guitarist of 22 years, with an equal amount of experience maintaining, repairing, and customizing guitars. The first thing I did when I got my first guitar at the tender age of 14 was take it apart. I'm glad that I did! My hunger for knowledge of how guitars work served me well in my guitar playing career. I've always been the go-to guy when friends, family, and bandmate's guitars needed attention.

I did a brief apprenticeship of sorts with a Kansas City luthier by the name of Bill Campbell of Pendragon Guitars. That was probably 15 years ago, and I'm picking up where I left off now that I've got a house and a basement big enough to have a workshop. If any of you happen to know Bill of Pendragon Guitars, please let him know I've tried to find him for the last 15 years with no luck.

I've worked with wood(chuckle) for as long as I've been old enough to nail 2 pieces of scrap together. My father always had a woodshop, and I always had free reign therein. I was fortunate. I learned a lot from my pops, and continue to learn from his experience.

I'm a fan of metal, particularly power metal, and euro-melodic metal. I play in a Kansas City band called Moire. You can check out my playing here if you're so inclined. I'm the long haired bearded fella.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw95_hoHeKs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE9QqIX1z5s

I'm a huge fan of superstrats with laminated construction and natural finishes. I've started a couple necks and bodies that I'm working on. Most of my time spent so far has been constructing templates and jigs, and hunting down the right tools for the job. I've finished a CBG that I sold on Father's Day this year. That was a great boost in confidence and has further solidified my resolve and determination to build guitars.

My short term goal is to get a guitar finished that I can play in my band and showcase at all our shows. My long term goal is to be an experienced luthier and build guitars from now throughout my retirement. If it happens to evolve into something that pays the bills, even better! Make no mistake tho, I have no illusions that I'm going to be building guitars and selling them right off the bat. As a 36 year old man, my head is out of the clouds and my feet are firmly on the ground. I realize that the chances of becoming a professional luthier and making a living at it are right up there with getting a record deal and making millions.

I love the process of building, not just the finished product. I love the puzzles that woodworking presents, and I love thinking outside the box and finding the solutions to those puzzles. I troubleshoot for a living, and woodworking is absolutely no exception.

I look forward to learning a lot here at LuthierTalk. I was referred to y'all through reddit/r/luthier, after being frustrated with the lack of build threads. It really looks like I found the right place as far as build threads are concerned.

tl;dr - HI!!! :D

2. Jenious

Jenious Member

Welcome to the forum!! and I hope you like sanding :lol:

3. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome aboard! :wave:

4. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

Welcome! This is a great place with lots of awesome people!

Regarding your description .. there are several long haired bearded fellas in the video ;)

5. Renkenstein

Thank you!

Well, that's true...I'm the one with the longest hair, and the second longest beard! Man...there's a LOT of hair in my band.

6. Sully

Sully Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome, Renkybeard!

Sully

Renkenstein likes this.
  7. emoney

emoney New Member

Welcome......but how come we don't get the option of calling you "Patty"?

Renkenstein likes this.
  8. Renkenstein

*GROAAAAAN*

Since I'm the n00b and a proper hazing could be in order, who am I to object?

emoney likes this.