Glue Joint Fail

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by bmac6502, Apr 22, 2016.

1. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

I guess I'll just chalk it up to a crazy piece of wood. I had to buy a wood slicer blade to just resaw it:

Wood Slicer Bandsaw Blade | Custom Length Bandsaw Blades

I bought that on the recommendations of several woodworkers, for resawing very hard stock. The first blade I had tried on it started out sharp. After five minutes, the blade was dull, and I had a nice 1/4" groove in the edge of the piece. The wood slicer saved my bacon. Without it, I might still be staring at that slab of maple wondering what I can do with it.

In the end, it worked out. some tools did better than others, and I just improvised my way through it. Actually, I think the surprising tool was the microplane. I was prepared for a serious fight carving the beveled edges into the maple, but in the end it only fought back a little harder the the mahogany.

2. TheCaffeinatedOne

TheCaffeinatedOne New Member

Just an idea, here. If you have access to a very good table saw with a thin kerf blade, try ripping a scrap piece and then analyze how the joint looks. Is it a better join? If so, you might have good luck ripping the seam and regluing it.

3. bmac6502

bmac6502 Member

I have none of those things. I have a table saw. It's great at throwing sharp shards of wood at my face. I mostly use it to obliterate pieces of lumber that have made me angry. occasionally I will rip plywood with it if I'm not too worried about having parallel edges.