Glad to have found this site.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by gborelli, Jul 20, 2013.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Hi everyone,

My name is Gary Borelli, I live in Stockton, California and have been a musician for over 45 years. Trumpet is my main instrument, but, I have also been playing guitar for over 20 years. Let me re-qualify that, attempting to play guitar for over 20 years. I have just recently, in the last year or so, started working on repairing the guitars I own and have found it to be one of the most rewarding activities I have ever done. I can spend hours at my work bench and walk away with a calm and peaceful feeling of accomplishment, most of the time. LOL. I have a couple of posts already submitted and I welcome any and all help and insight I can get.

The best to everyone,

Gary

jkes01 likes this.
  2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

That feeling goes away if you ever try to do it professionally :lol:

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Not a prayer. I intend to keep it as a hobby. The plan, buy something cheap, fix it and make it cool and then sell it for a small profit so I can buy another one. Keep doing it until I build it up to the point I buy one I want to keep for myself. And, you do crack me up. the irreverence it great! Let satirical sarcasm live on!!!

4. Blue Belly Guitars

Blue Belly Guitars New Member

Not 100% true. It's great to give something back to someone & have them compliment you on your work. Yes, the stress level goes up. The satisfaction of fixing something, or making it better, leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, however.

jkes01 likes this.
  5. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I recently was given 3 childrens guitars by a local music store so I could fix them and give to kids who are challenged or can't afford one. One of them I fixed and gave it to a girl who has down syndrome who visited my house once and loved strumming one of my guitars. I tuned it to a chord so when she strums it will sound good. The 2nd one wasn't really broken so I did a minor fix and gave it back to the music store to sell and the 3rd one has given its life to science, so far any way. It is really messed up, but, I am still trying. To me this is a great way to give back if you can and I will continue to do this of opportunity pops up. Like I said, it gives me a lot of pleasure to work on them. I spend most of my work day in front of a computer, so, using my brain and hands for something like this is great. I do get what Adam is saying though, after 30+ years in printing and graphic design, the wonder of it all is gone. It has become something I do, but, not something I love to do.

6. emoney

emoney New Member

I'm lucky enough to be one of those that likes his job. As for this hobby of mine, well, there's good days and bad days.....but I wouldn't trade it for anything else (Lord knows I've tried.) I will add, however, that when you're a touch OCD it can be quite extreme on the happy/mad scale. Pardon me while I go wash my hands 97 times because the Tide commercial just came on.

7. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

:wave: Hey Gary, I realized I didn't give a proper welcome.

-John

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

All is good :)

9. Astroboy058

Astroboy058 New Member

Hello and welcome.

Gary

10. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Thank you to everyone for the kind words and welcomes.

Gary