Gibson Black Finish

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by gborelli, Nov 4, 2014.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Help,

I have a friends 2013 Les Paul that is a sunburst from black to a mustard/gold color. He dropped the guitar and has a crack from the top of the F hole to the top of the guiar, and from the bottom of the hold to the bottom to the back, a chipped out piece on the bottom and part of the perfing missing. All this on the left side of the guitar when facing it. Does anyone know Gibson uses for black on their guitars? I am assuming a gloss paint with with a nitro finish? I had to sand down to repair the crack on the top and now I am not quite sure what to use to re-apply the black.

Thanks,

Gary

2. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

They probably used tinted lacquer or black lacquer. I'd have to see pictures. Either way though, you're going to want to use nitro.

3. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Hey Adam,

So mix a black lacquer with the niro and spray the color on?

4. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

found this at Stew Mac. Yes, NO? Also, would I just spray it directly on the wood or do I need a primer first? Shit!! I got myself into a pickle on this one.

Attached Files:

5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

If it's raw wood you need to get a little bit of sealer on there. I'd really have to see the guitar to give much more advice...

6. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I will post pictures tomorrow. Right now I am beat to death and head to bead. Thanks for the insight.

Gary

7. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Here is what it looks like. The sanded area was a bad crack that I glued, fixed and sanded smooth. I have ordered Black Nitor and Clear Nitro spray cans from Stew Mac for the black problem. What worries me is I am going to have to feather the black into the existing gold areas. I have done this a long time ago when I used to airbrush, but, not with a spray can. The bottom crack starts at the top, goes down the side and around to the back, but, it looks like a surface crack to me. Any help or insight is going to really help.

Thanks,

Gary

Attached Files:

8. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Just putting black on that won't fix it... That's a candidate for a whole top refinish... Got too far into the burst for that to ever look good if you try to respray it.

10. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

hmmmm? What if I airbrush the black into the burst? I mean to do the whole top I would still have to airbrush let dry and change colors wouldn't I? My thought was to extend the black a little further into the gold than it was. Here's a better shot of it.

Attached Files:

11. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

It will look really bad, imo.

12. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

13. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

In my opinion.

14. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

well it is an opinion I value. Brother I am screwed. That crack was really bad before I fixed and it went from the top of the F-hole to the top of the guitar so I felt I had to sand it down to wood to do the repair. Was I wrong in my thinking?

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

No, I don't think so, but I do think you should do a top refinish. If you do it right that guitar comes out looking amazing. If you just put more black on, it looks like someone repaired it poorly, you know?

16. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Yeah I do an you are right. This is a lot more extensive than I planned and I am doing it pro bono to help the guy out. He does a lot of stuff to help other people, plays in the rest homes etc.... so I wanted to do something nice for him, but, you are right. It does need to be done right. Do you know of any way I can find out what stains Gibson used on his guitar?

17. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

The middle should be an amber stain with a touch of brown, the outside should just be black. Not sure if there's a third tone, it's possible there is, and if it is then it's just the same as the middle with a bit more brown and some black added.

18. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

It goes from black and the black fades to amber and then it is a dark reddish brown for the sunburst. Everything feeds into the amber. Thanks for the reply that what I did was the right thing to do. That took a lot of stress away from me. I am going to let the owner know where it all stands and see what he wants to do. My thinking now is to finish all the repairs and send it to someone who is really knows what they are doing to restore the color. Can you give me some kind of an idea what that would cost him if I send it out?
    Thanks again,

Gary

19. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure honestly.

20. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Anyone you would recommend to contact or should I look into customer service at Gibson? The guitar is two years old.