Fretboard Restoration.

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by SpectacularSounds, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

carcinogens...:ohno:

I'm from the generation where as a junior in HS I was washing test tubes bare handed with MEK and as a freshman in college was told it had just been labeled dangerous...

I'll use some lacquer thinner to clean my hands on jobsites now and again...spray lacquer without gloves (but trust me, I trim my beard if not remove it and wear a proper respirator)...

I think these days, known to cause cancer in the State of California is way OTT...but that's just me...

I'm sure the steaks I pan fry (and give a nice sear) are carcinogenic...for sure the times I use the grill are!...etc...

shrugs shoulders...don't have any plans on using 3-1 oil on any guitar...been using fiddlebrite for 40 years with no issues (both my 30+ year old guitars with ebony fretboards are doing just fine, thank you) and plan to keep using it...on the flip side I'm in no way freaked out when I do use 3-1 oil on a jobsite for lubing up an offending lockset and get it on my hands...just part of my life...

if nitril gloves are around, I'll use them just to keep my hands clean (really, getting oils all over other things, finished or not, on a multi-million dollar house is against my rules), and yeah I wear gloves, sometimes heavy duty chemical resistant ones, when dealing with cleaning out my Binks Mach1-SL and it's associated spray pot and hoses...common sense IMHO...on the flip side I've been known to stick a bare hand in a bucket of thinner to retrieve a spray cap left soaking between spray sessions to put it back on to spray the next coat...

what I'm pretty sure of is that I'll die of cancer associated with smoking before those toxic chemicals get me...then again, maybe not...I've accepted my frakked up life and am slowly cutting back on the coffin nails...

The_Point being, being worried about a few drops of oil is not even in my vocabulary! though, as noted, don't plan to use it on a guitar EVER...fiddlebrite cleans and restores the bare ebony, and does a nice job of removing any built up gunk on the rest of a guitar.

if it's in anybody else's then fine...that's the beauty of a free America...

2. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

Thanks for your input Michael_P. I completely understand your position. I have countless chemicals in my shop that are horrible for me. I always use my mask and gloves but on occasion a glove breaks and i get lacquer dye all over my hands. So what do i do....i wash them in lacquer thinner. Its part of the game i guess and I dont sweet over if im gonna get cancer. I didnt intend to harp about 3in1 being a known carcinogen. My point was that if given the option of something that says "known to cause cancer" on the bottle and lets say food grade mineral oil...the choice is clear for me. Where do you buy fiddlebrite anyway? I looked it up after you posted it and i couldnt find any.

3. otterhound

otterhound New Member

This forum has become increasingly more and more angry as stated in an earlier thread by another .
    I find myself in agreement and will do what I asked that party not to do . :wave:

4. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

Selmer Fiddlebrite...hmmm...looks to be out of stock everywhere...funny thing is I'm still dipping out of a 20+ year old bottle...better hoard it I guess...

5. TKOjams

TKOjams Well-Known Member

6. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

Wow! It blows my mind that the msds sheet for this product labels is as "Not hazardous" when its 2 main ingredients are known carcinogens. Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Oil is used to created things like transmission fluid and synthetic oils, and has been linked to cancer in the mechanic industry. And Flippin' Naphthan contains !!Benzene!! Which has been proven to cause bone marrow failure and is a main cancer causer in cigarette smoke.

I really dont mean to be harping about the cancer thing but, Ive had 4 family members die of cancer including my 59 year old mother. So its definitely something that I keep in mind when Im doing the work that I do. Im basically on board with Micheal_P. Im not going to loose sleep at night if I spray some nitro and spill some on my hands or inhale some fumes before I leave the booth. I just sanded some Ziricote and didnt put my mask on, probably something in that, that is gonna kill me. If there is an easy way to avoid nasty crap like that, or I have a safer better option like I do with fingerboard conditioning...Like I said, for me the choice is clear.

With that said...from what Ive been reading there are people out there that have been using it and dont seem to be reporting any adverse effects to the wood. So hey go for it...Ill stick with my bees wax.