Finishing help

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by Vernon805, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Vernon805

Vernon805 New Member

1st build and I fear I made a rookie mistake. Did a two tone sunburst with vintage Amber and red mohagany with the stew Mac color tone tinted lacquer. When I sprayed the first top coat of clear the spray spit. I made the mistake of wiping it with a clean rag and it pulled the underlying colors off leaving spots. Any suggestions on how to fix?

2. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Sand back and respray. It's a pain in the arse, but trying to patch a burst is not a fun prospect. If the colour that's come off is only in the very centre, and you'd only by patching the yellow, you might be OK, but otherwise I'd probably not even try.

If it helps, it'd be advisable to lay a clear barrier coat in between the amber and the red. This has a few advantages, eg in this case you'd only have to sand back the red and the amber could stay intact.

3. Vernon805

Vernon805 New Member

Thanks for the help! Do you think I can just sand a small area around the spots and try to re-blend the color?

Attached Files:

4. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Hrmm... How deep are those spots? Are the edges of the burst just about opaque? You might be able to spray another coat of burst over the top. If I wasn't going to sand back, I'd probably try and do a whole new coat of burst over at least that side of the guitar, if not the whole thing, because I think trying to spot-blend is going to be problematic.

There are much more experienced finishers than me on here who might like to chime in.

5. Vernon805

Vernon805 New Member

Thanks for the help! I decided to try sanding back just around the area and try to re-blend the color. I really liked what I had before, but I think this will work.

Attached Files:

6. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Good choice. 2 finishes that can only be repaired by starting over: sunburst and metal flake.