Finished one!!!

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Zeegler, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Finally finished wet sanding and buffing, so couldn't wait to install the tuners.
    [​IMG]

Pickups, bridge, tailpiece, strings.
    [​IMG]

Preparing to install pots and switches.
    [​IMG]

And finally, my first guitar is finished. Okay, well almost finished. I still have to do some work to the fretboard and frets. I have a few chips that need filling, and the frets need a minor level and a polish. Once the chips in the board are filled, I will oil and buff it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

paul1, O.C.G., SimonB15 and 3 others like this.
  2. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

wow, that is really nice looking.
    how did you go about the fade from yellow to green? did you dye green and then sand back?

Zeegler likes this.
  3. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

No. I stained the entire guitar a yellow green colour that I mixed up with stain pigment. It's perhaps a little less yellow looking in person. anyway, then I mixed up a darker green and did the burst around the edges. To get the transition smooth, I blended outwards from the centre using the lighter yellow green. I didn't sand back at all.

I was very surprised at how the sycamore took the stain. It's not as predictable as maple, and as you can see, it has darker streaks in it that took more of the darker green. At first it kinda bothered me that it looked uneven, but it's grown on me.

By the way, although the wings look like they're made from 2 pieces of sycamore, each wing is in fact a single piece of wood. The lies you see on the top are simply the way the grain took the stain.

4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Yes, that is awesome.

Zeegler likes this.
  5. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Thanks guys! It took me hours!!!:D

6. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

It tool a lot longer than that!!
    I can tell from the pics..

Congrats...
    NICE ONE!!

Zeegler likes this.
  7. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

I meant TOOK :scratch:

:metal:

8. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

Really sharp!
    So am I understanding correctly that you stained the darker green areas first and then stained from the center out with the lighter mix?

9. VictOr358

VictOr358 Member

Majestic!:metal:
    And truly skillful command of colors :bowdown:
    You made me desiring to put my evil guitar design to life =)

Zeegler likes this.
  10. Zeegler

Zeegler Active Member

Thanks!

No, I did the whole guitar in the lighter green first. I wanted the lighter colour as a base. That way when I did the darker green around the edges, it combined the lighter colour with it. I figured it would blend better that way. Then I took a damp cloth and rubbed towards the edges to really smooth out the burst.

I suppose spraying with tinted lacquer is easier, and gets a better result, but I don't have the equipment for that yet, so I do what I can with what I've got.

11. Dave Locher

Dave Locher Member

Now I get it.
    I think it looks great, and I'm going to use a similar technique (with different colors) on my next build. Thanks for the info.
    I really like your build. A friend of mine had one of those Aria Pros in high school in the early '80s, but he was such a lousy guitar player I have no idea what they actually sound like! (I did not play at that time) His was red metallic, and was stolen less than a year after he bought it with stolen money. He's a CEO now. Seriously.