Finish Pulling Away From Top Under Bridge

Discussion in 'Glues, Fillers & Painting' started by resetpreacher, Jan 31, 2021.

1. resetpreacher

resetpreacher New Member

This is happening to my Guild Westerly D-1212.
    I figure I need to cut through the finish next to the bridge and attempt to glue down the finish before pulling the bridge off so more finish does not pull up in the process of repair. I'm a watchmaker, so have the skills and tools to do a decent job of this. I figure a modified Exacto knife or one of my very small triangular files will do the job, depending on how hard the finish is. After cutting through the finish, I debate what glue to go with. I've considered superglue, as it would run well under the finish. But would superglue make the job more difficult of removing the finish to glue the bridge directly to the mahogany top, assuming that's necessary? Of course, I wish Guild had taken the trouble to glue directly to the top in the first place. Will Titebond hide glue flow under the finish even if warmed up? Or would Titebond I or II be better?
    Btw, the damage occurred after a gig. My wife and I decided to walk around in some beautiful snow, then had dinner in a very warm McDonald's. I discovered the damage after getting the guitar home and assume the sudden change in extreme temperatures caused it.

2. resetpreacher

resetpreacher New Member

Ok, it seems the idea to glue the finish ahead of time may be a bad one as it could make removing the bridge more problematic. I just need to risk it will stay put when I remove it.