Finally gonna do one of these...

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by rainH2O, Mar 29, 2015.

1. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Sprayed a cherry color coat on the back of the seven string.

Sanded off the top of the six string, worked my way up through multiple grits of sandpaper -finishing with 1000, re-sprayed cherry and clear on the top. Same plan as mentioned above moving forward. It looked like a plain top until the lacquer hit, then the flames came out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This just about uses up all my rattle can nitro. I'll be using a proper gun from now on.

2. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

Looks damn good from here!!
    I'm Jealous..

3. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Will be stripping it again. Got it out in the sunlight today. Little cherry red droplets all over the top that I couldn't see in the dimly lit garage. That's it, no more rattle can for anything other than a solid color.

4. HEADKNOCKER

Can't you sand them out in about 2-3 weeks with like 800-1000?
    I'm no expert on nitrocellulose but after cured would treat it like any other lacquer..
    If the droplets have melted into the existing finish which I'm sure they have it should still sand out IF the bottom coat is thick enough?

Kinda unsure what to do with the paint job repair I've got going but think I'm gonna add some pigment/red paint over the repair & then WAIT!! Wet sand up to 1000/2000 & then spray the Trans Red again then the clear..
    I was a autobodyman back in the 80s & went to trade school for it 82-84
    Went with acrylic enamel on this repair because of availability & it's mine, soon to be my sons..

[​IMG]

5. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

The droplets are the bottom coat. No more trying weird stuff for me. The only deviation from a normal finishing schedule will be using clear lacquer instead of sanding sealer in order to preserve/maximize depth of the figure in the wood.

I'll be setting up my spray gun and air compressor over the next couple of evenings. I should be able to make progress over the long holiday weekend.

On the positive side, I've realized I really like the look of this guitar as a cherry burst.

6. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

I think that's another advantage of doing your amber coats, sealing them, then spraying your burst over the top; you can sand out any overspray droplets afterwards and really dial in that burst..

... allegedly, I've not had great success personally :lol:

7. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

I did use up the rest of my rattle can clear on the seven string top and sprayed the headstock black today. I wanted to get clear on that top as quickly as possible to lock in the sanding job. Poplar just doesn't sand as slick as maple and I was worried that anything at all touching that top would result in the need for more sanding.

The six string is stripped and ready for attempt number three. I'll be sanding through all my grits on the top tomorrow. I used 60 to get all the gunk off the top. I'm up to 150 now and I'll be starting with 220 when I get home from work tomorrow. I've learned to do this in daylight with the garage door open, so I can see all the scratches that have to come out.

8. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

I'll be building a guitar for my son as soon as I can tell if he's right or left handed. He still uses whatever hand is closest to what he's doing most of the time, but it's starting to look like he favors his left hand a little.

He likes to rake his hand across the strings of my guitars that he can reach. Puts a smile on my face. :)

9. HEADKNOCKER

My youngest son is left handed but plays a right handed guitar..
    Make sure first..
    He started playing when he was three, he 23 now, he smokes me, Left me in his dust & has perfect pitch too.. Damn Youngins.. I can hear him jamming up in the attic studio now

Sorry to hear about the Finish on the H2OPaul6.. That SUX

10. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

I've learned it's better to start over and do it right than to try and skate by. Saves work in the long run.

I sanded through all the grits in the driveway this afternoon (I see the scratches that need to be worked out better in natural light). Sprayed clear and sprayed yellow with a Preval (solid coats, Won't try to do a burst with one of those). Did the yellow on the seven string too. It's going to be an incredible lemonburst. I had planned to make the six string a lemonburst too, but after putting lacquer on it, I can tell it is screaming to be a cherry burst. I'm getting my gun and compressor ready over the rest of the week. I'm taking off work Monday, and I'll be spraying the burst on the six string and laying a very light burst of amber on the seven string (I'm guessing that's how you do a lemon burst, want to keep it subtle - almost barely there).

[​IMG]

Using Cardinal now - holy crap, this stuff sets up faster than rattle can lacquer! Smells different too. Almost smells like old 1960s Marvel comic books (the ink and paper are not compatible and these old comics are literally eating themselves, it produces an acidic smell kinda' like an apple just starting to go bad).

My little boy is 2 1/2. He loves music. Any music and singing on TV and he will stop and watch intently. He loves singing Japanese children's songs too (he's half Japanese). When he sees an elephant on TV, he will start singing "Zhou-san".

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  11. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Tried the gun today. My compressor doesn't have enough power to run a HVLP gun. Playing around with settings on the gun didn't help, it produced a weak, poorly atomized spray regardless of adjustments.

Between the poorly functioning gun, Preval, and the remnants of an almost dry rattle can of cherry, this is what I did today (and I guess I haven't learned my lesson about doing things right, but the gun problem is incredibly frustrating and I wanted to make some progress today):

I sprayed the red with the rattle can angled even more outboard and managed to keep spatter off the center of the top. I tried to soften the red with a mix of yellow with a lot of vintage maple in the HVLP. Got a poorly atomized burst. Used a Preval to spray yellow with just a little amber to soften and melt the spatter from the HVLP. Ended up with this (burst is a little too wide):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some sun may improve it. I really don't want to strip it and start over with this one again. How colorfast is Transtint liquid? Will it lighten with UV exposure? The dark areas of the burst look a lot more transparent in person.

I sprayed a burst of amber on the seven string. I could tell I had made a "burst" while it was wet (mostly due to the fact that it was wet), but as it is drying I can't really tell that I did anything at all. I'm going to leave it alone. Barely perceptible is what I wanted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  12. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Knarbens likes this.
  13. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Question: Would it be beneficial to wait for the color coats to set a little and wet sand/buff them before the clear coat? Or will the orange peel from the color coat just melt into the first coat of clear?

14. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Scraped the binding.

[​IMG]

Knarbens and D.Stanley like this.
  15. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

You're finishing with nitro? If so, I'd say it does?

16. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Yes, using nitro.

Spraying clear today.

[​IMG]

17. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

The shop light stand is working out pretty well for spraying. Got four coats (three passes each) of clear on now, will do another later tonight. Plan to do a coat in the afternoon and a coat at night until I get to 10-12 coats. Going through a lot of lacquer.

Earplugs seem to be working out great for masking holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Do you just spray nitro in your garage like that? Do you have a good extraction system for the fumes?

Spraying nitro is illegal where I'm from unless you have a certified facility.

19. rainH2O

rainH2O New Member

Extraction system is called "open garage door". These are the first and last I'm doing like this. Starting in October, I'll have access to a proper spray booth.

SimonB15 likes this.
  20. HEADKNOCKER

I can't wait till I can get motivated to make something even close to what you guys have built..
    I suppose a bolt on should be my first "TELE" & Then a "SG" & then a laminated neck thru guitar & bass, I have a Les Paul & several other guitars & figure I should build what I don't have..
    The Pictures aren't great but I can tell they're shiny & I bet they buff out like glass..
    I guess we'll know in about a month..
    LOOKING GOOD!!