Extending Necks

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by kodiakblair, May 16, 2015.

1. kodiakblair

kodiakblair New Member

Years ago I saw a Tune Bass Maniac reviewed and was smitten.

It was a 3 octave unmarked fretless with piezo only electrics.In pearl white with an ebony board and black hardware it was gorgeous.Never in 30 years have saw or heard of one for sale until last week but the owner has an inflated idea of the price.

So it's time to build one. I can get one that's been stripped for respray and it's the fretted version.I'll need to extend the neck as it's 24 fret,the 3 octave neck used a longer neck pocket so the extra will be in the body and subject to no extra stress.

What do you reckon fellas ? Will using a scarf joint with dowels do the trick ?
    Bearing in mind it will have a new fingerboard fitted and I'm not altering the scale length just really adding a piece of maple.

I'm probably making a hash of explaining this so help me pull it apart and word things right.

KB

2. SimonB15

SimonB15 Active Member

Hrmmm, trying to get my head around what you're looking to do. Are you thinking:
    1. Pull the neck
    2. Take off the fretboard
    3. Cut a scarf joint up near the heel
    4. Glue a new heel at the scarf joint to extend the length of the neck
    5. Re-taper the neck(???)
    6. New fretless fingerboard
    7. Extend the neck pocket

Neck pocket might need a bit of a rejig, as the longer neck will likely end up with a different profile. Structurally, I have no idea if it would work. I know a good scarf joint is super strong, but I've never heard of one being used at the heel.

3. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Active Member

Thought I'd ad some pics that I found via google search..
    I ASSuME your wanting to make a fingerboard extension to recreate the bass at the top out of the one @ the bottom, The Redish bass shows one that has had an added separate fingerboard on the body that wouldn't be to difficult to create??, Being this guitar is a bolt on neck I don't think you would want a floating piece unsupported or even screwed to the body?:scratch:
    Then you got removing the P neck pickup & filling it or both? & then the piezo pickup & wiring etc. refinish..
    I'm sure you could also extend the tenon & then bolt on to it from behind with some more thru bolts & then of course glue yourself a super long ebony board onto it..
    I just threw the other idea out there..
    I am not a Luthier & Never Claimed to be:metal:
    Gary/Hk

3 Octave Tune Maniac
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 Octave Tune Maniac, Note some have 25 frets
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fingerboard Extension on the Body
    [​IMG]
    Tune Piezo Electronics + Bridge/Neck
    [​IMG]

4. kodiakblair

kodiakblair New Member

Holy Smokes !! It's been a long time since I visited here :)

The extended neck Tune problem was solved when I found an original over in Japan ;)

[​IMG]