Epi les paul re-issue gold top with gouge

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by gborelli, Dec 4, 2013.

1. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

I have a friend who does repair for Guitar Center and he was routing out the body to enlarge the setting for a different pickup when the router slipped and gouged the top of the guitar. About a good 2 to 3 inches overall. Now, I know that the finish on these guitars is a clear Poly and poly doesn't blend into itself, but, i remember reading some where that you can use superglue to do the fix. So, two questions:

1. Where would I find the paint that Gibson used for this guitar? It looks like a metal flake gold.

2. Has anyone had experience doing this?

I don't have a photo at the moment, but, I am going over to the store later or tomorrow to take one.

Thanks,

Gary

2. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Forget about this. The customer refuses a refinish and wants them to find him another one that is in perfect condition and they are going to do it if they can. Hurray for Guitar Center in Concord, CA.

Gary

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Gold tops can't really be patched, you basically have to redo the whole gold top... They are a big pain in the ass, everything has to go perfectly.

4. gborelli

gborelli Active Member

Thanks Adam and this was the gold metalflake edition on top of it. The customer made a lot of noise, and I don't blame him, about them finding another one. Their repair guy made the cutting error so it is on them to find a resolution for the guy.

Gary

5. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

99.9% of repairs on anything with metal flake will look like a "repair" for ever. These fixes can't be made invisible. Like Adam said, you need to start over with a complete re-fin. Good thing they will be finding him a new guitar instead of wasting who know's how many hours and headaches trying to make it go away.....

6. pfox14

pfox14 New Member

Honestly, the customer has the right to demand a replacement guitar after what happened. Too bad.