Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Adam, Apr 25, 2014.
THIS is so good looking!
Finally got the right bolts in.
Got the roof on my soon to be spray booth.
This is the brass I’ll be using to make head pieces.
Action shot. Drilling string holes on the headless head piece.
While making the first headless head piece, drilling the first string lock hole, my bit disintegrated. Luckily I got it out of the piece.
My apprentice has been learning how to sand things flat. He sanded this fretboard to thickness (and this one doesn't get a radius, so it's done). He's also properly thicknessed a pair of shedua neck stringers and flattened an ebony fretboard in preparation for radiusing. I'll be doing the radiusing of course.
Nice! Is Eli helping you out?
Yeah, he's doing pretty well so far. Has come out two days now. He's also helped me tidy the shop and put the roof on the spray booth.
Got more finish in the Thresher. Silk screening the logos on proved to be a difficult task. I think next time I’ll silk screen then onto decal paper instead of directly on the headstock.
Also routed channels in the bridge for the low and high strong saddles to ride in.
I'm also starting the search for a new shop in earnest. I've got a lead on one that should be opening up soon, a friend of mine has a shop there, and it includes access to a spray booth, a CNC machine, their break room, and they even have A/C (which my current shop lacks). Would be a major upgrade, though it also costs nearly double what I pay now. Business is picking up enough though that it's not only affordable, it's a necessity. I've already outgrown my current shop!
Heyyyyy, looks like that name stuck huh? That thing is flippin wicked, dude.
Started a new neck project. Texas ebony for the fretboard. On the next, I'm doing a bit of a variation on the traditional 5 piece neck. This is still a 1 piece neck, but it has dual stringers, kind of like you see on a Strat neck, only there's two of them. He's sending me a RG7 body he got from Area 51 to do clear on as well.
The lacquer in this one cracked on me, so I had to sand a few coats off. The lacquer I spray on it next will be thinned down and retarded so that it melts everything underneath it, including any remaining cracks.
Routed the pickups in this one, and started laying out the bridge. I’ll complete the layout of the bridge in Rhino. Also drilled the side dot holes, though I don't have any abalone side dots in stock, so I had to order them today.
Radiused the fingerboard on this one (12-16" compound), fretted it, made the bridge plate, and drilled a bunch of holes. The frets are stainless steel.
Got some stuff into finish today.
Finished this one's fret job today. Stainless shines up so well.
Made a Texas ebony headcap for the granadillo neck, also rough cut its taper and glued a shedua piece to the heel. You can see the dual stringers peeking through by the heel, they'll show all the way to the headstock when I carve the neck.
The dual neck stringers really turned out well. Granadillo is such a joy to carve.
Fitted the neck to the body.
Sealed the body with vinyl sealer. This body was made by Area 51 out of the UK.
I worked on a lot of things today, but this was the most post-worthy:
Getting this one ready to play-test tomorrow. The customer is driving in from Houston to give it a whirl.
Joe stopped in from Houston to play test his guitar before it hits finish.
He really enjoyed it, nothing but good to say about the guitar. Going to let it sit for a bit with strings on, then it's off to finish.
Here's a closeup of Joe's bridge. This guitar set the standard for my 7 string fixed bridge design.
On these bridges I either use Hipshot steel saddles or Graphtech String Saver Classics, customer's choice. The base plate on this one is a stand-in, as Joe's is already at the chrome platers. Standardizing the bridge design was helpful for that, as this stand-in baseplate will surely go to a build in the future.
Love the bridge posts in steel. Vurry shiny!
This body got its first day of lacquer.
Routed the Floyd Rose nut shelf, and radiused the fingerboard to match the Floyd Rose radiuses (12-16 compound, as the nut is 12" and the bridge is roughly 20").
Side dots installed. Noticed the sap wood while drilling them, so decided to do 24 in black for best visibility. I cut the frets for this one today, but stopped there.
Also sanded the walnut/flamed maple body, hopefully will have it ready for finish by the weekend.
I don't have a move in date yet (they actually said move in whenever I can, need to work it out with the current shop), but Elysian Guitars will be moving to a new, fully featured shop very soon! The new shop has a large CNC, a really nice very large spray booth, all the power tools I could ever need, and tons of space. Very exciting!
Congratulations on your move.
Awesome! Congrats dude!
Congrats! That's awesome! At least I rearrange my "shop" these days
Separate names with a comma.