Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Adam, Apr 25, 2014.
The guitar looks even better with the color!
I’ve been looking for Texas ebony for quite a long time, since my first 8 string build basically, and I finally found some at Woodcraft today, so I had to pick it up!
Leveled the binding on the headless single cut build, this is close to what it will look like with finish on it.
I also worked on the heel to binding transition on the headless single cut.
And I pore filled and sealed the 9 string. I’m going to let it cure overnight and then do a second round of pore filler.
I've finally got a spray booth I'll post pics when it's assembled.
Stopped by Home Depot today to see how much a metal shed would cost, in order to convert it into a spray booth. They had one on the lot that was marked "For sale - as is" with no price on it. The manager offered it to me for a deal I couldn't pass up, but the catch was I had to haul it off that day. Always up for a challenge, I called up my shop mates and one of them was available to help me, so we got started. We hauled it all back, including the wooden base, and set to reassembling the wooden base behind the shop.
Tomorrow or Monday I should be able to get the shed assembled, then it's time to plumb it for air, wire up power, install the lights, seal it all up, and the filter walls/doors. Lots of work ahead of me, but it's worth it.
Finally back to work after the break in.
Routed the Freeway switch on the 9. Weather has slowed down the finish process, but it will move forward soon enough.
Glued up this neck blank. The wenge pieces are scarf jointed while the shedua pieces are one piece. Should be really strong.
I also got a new router Sunday (Sunday delivery is still so weird to me). Bosch 2 1/4hp model, came with the fixed base and the plunge base, and I love it. So smooth, no kick back, no sticking, no jittering, just constant power and great cuts. That Porter Cable 1 3/4hp was clearly not enough router for the job.
Sunday delivery? Clearly everything IS more awesome in Austin
And happy NRD
Second time I've gotten a UPS Sunday delivery, it's just so weird.
The headstock decal on the multiscale 8 is buffed out and ready to go. Have to make a nut for it and set it up, then it’s done.
Flattened the new neck blanks’ glue faces (it’s going to get a headstock veneer).
Started assembling the new spray booth. Tomorrow the roof will be installed, then it’s time to start turning it into a usable booth.
Another new neck blank. This one gets an ash headstock overlay.
Roughed in this neck and glued on the ears for the headstock.
First coat of lacquer went on the 9 string. This is where it will stay until the spray booth is fully operational.
Installed the threaded inserts and counter-bored the holes. Those aren't the bolts I'll wind up using, I just need to find the right suppliers for the ones I want.
Slotted the ebony fretboard for the walnut build, and glued the flame maple headcap on.
Cut the truss rod access slot for this one, slotted the flamed maple fretboard, and bound it.
Routed the pickup routes, drilled for the volume and tone, routed the control cavity, drilled the barrel jack hole, and routed for my standard cavity cover.
Here’s the flamed maple headcap from yesterday, with tuner holes drilled.
Glued the maple fretboard from yesterday on.
I really love that headless design of yours!
That neck joint! So awesome.
The single cut one? I basically wanted as much surface area as I could get while still keeping it really ergonomic and smooth, so I'm pretty happy with it, even though it took some extra work to do it that way.
That headless neckjoint came out ridiculously cool. Very unique.
Agreed on the neck joint; the binding on there is killer. How the hell did you do that?
An extremely sharp chisel and a lot of patience
Today I learned that working on carbon reinforcement rods should be treated just like working on fiberglass. So itchy.
This neck (the wenge/shedua neck with ebony board for the walnut/flamed maple superstrat build) got routed for a truss rod and a pair of carbon reinforcement rods today, and got the fretboard glued on.
This neck got carved and fitted to the body today.
Got a lot done in this build today. The neck pocket was routed, the threaded inserts installed, and the neck and volute were rough carved. Only going 3 you bolt on this to allow for for maximum heel sculpting. The threaded inserts allow for there to be more than enough contact pressure with only 3. Could probably get away with 2 even.
Separate names with a comma.