Elysian Guitars - The Thread.

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by Adam, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Plastic, buy them.

[​IMG]

Dots installed on some, binding going on, and the last fretboard was glued up today.

2. Batat

Batat New Member

Ok, thanks)

3. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Worked on the inlays for the Nautilus today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also worked on a t-shirt design for the Kickstarter:

[​IMG]

Knarbens likes this.
  4. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Haven't been very vigilant with my updates to this thread, so how about a massive photo dump?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Renkenstein, Knarbens and poro78 like this.
  5. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

More photo dump:

[​IMG]

Fitted this bridge.

[​IMG]

Buffed this fretboard.

[​IMG]

Wound these pickups.

[​IMG]

Shipped these pickups.

[​IMG]

Wax potted these pickups.

[​IMG]

Also wax potted these pickups.

[​IMG]

Worked on test assembly, tested this guitar.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tried something new with this finish. This one got white sides and a white burst.

[​IMG]

Redid the sealer on all of this.

6. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made these for another builder (the soapbar was a pair, but only took a pic of the bridge one).

Also did this a bit over 2 weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Pulled the stitches out Monday, hand still hurts quite a bit though, and still have numbness in my fingers. Haven't been in the shop much beyond working on pickups because of it. Be careful with your chisels folks, I know we builders like to keep them sharp, they can seriously hurt you when you least expect it.

7. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

Holy shit dude!!!!
    I hope you make a full and complete recovery!
    Best wishes, Dave

8. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

ouch...well I feel for you...as you might remember I had a fight with a table saw 11 months ago and numbness in my fingers is still an ongoing issue...2 months with a 3" steel pin shoved through my thumb to let the extensor tendon heal had other effects...basically the inactivity of my whole hand induced carpal tunnel symptoms and they are very slowly going away...I'm way past the waking up in the middle of the night with my hand in massive pain, but some numbness is still present...I find that using my hand aggressively in exercises of squeezing a foam block and releasing it repeatedly helps a lot.

when I was released to go back to work things were pretty good, but the effects of using my hand again doing carpentry was a major setback...oh well, gotta make a living!

just be aware that luckily you did your number with a nice sharp (hopefully) chisel...that's basically a surgical cut and it will heal nicely...:dude:

best of wishes..

9. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

It's pretty lumpy under the skin now, probably not gonna change. My hand is still nearly constantly hurting, and the numbness in my ring finger really makes guitar playing very hard.

10. jkes01

jkes01 Active Member

Ouch man. Take it easy, last thing you want to do is bump that into something in the shop. I nicked my thumb on the table saw during a stay-cation a few years back. Everytime I turned around I bumped it into something. Freaking throbbing for the rest of my time off.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

11. Michael_P

Michael_P Member

oh, the scar tissue will go away...hopefully part of your issues is the presence of scar tissue...and in a hand injury collagen (which is the stuff sent to do the rebuilding of the injured area) gets into your whole d*mned hand...and this means swelling which just might be pressing on the nerves and causing your numbness.

Me? things are progressing slowly, but they ARE progressing...then again I removed 1/8" of extensor tendon with extreme prejudice and it left a rather non-surgical cut...my thumb is just now starting to return to normal shape (or as close as it will be as it will NEVER do a full thumbs up bend again) and the scar tissue is really starting to soften up...part of the whole hand issue (and any injury like you and I have gone through IS a whole hand issue) for me was loss of extension of fingers...I can bend my left hand back so that my fingers are at about 150 degrees relative to my forearm...I can get to about 115 on my injured right hand...part of that is also an ongoing rebuilding of my calluses that were lost after 3 months of forced inactivity...hell just a month ago I had to tighten up 60 or so bar clamps 7 times in totality over a month long period and that ripped my palm apart and am just now getting over that and regaining extension...

why/how? OK, now I'll diverge a bit...I got assigned to have to make a hand rail blank for a carver...some of you might have heard of the product I used from other guitar forums...wood that is somehow made quite pliable and is able to bend easily (I don't see a use for it in guitar making as after being bent it takes a while to dry out and stabilize and during that process it shrinks in all dimensions...thickness/width/length)...now usually in a spiral staircase one uses materials that are ~1/4" thick and are supplied with grooves and bulges to force them to line up and in the end after glue up in place to match the spiral are simply sanded on the top and bottom and then placed over the posts and balusters are installed...problem is I got a hybrid staircase...spiral from the bottom to straight to spiral to straight to 2nd floor landing...the owner doesn't want any miters instead desires a smooth flowing look...OK...most ppl just don't seem to get the concept of simple mathematical differential of pitch...the straight rises at ~32 degrees...the spiral at ~46...that's a 15 degree differential and therein lies the huge issues of using bender rail...you can bend it to a spiral but not create a hump/valley...the material I used was able to make the bend on the differential points...barely...so after the first day of bending I failed to figure out how to make the humps/valleys needed to make a "smooth" transition and ended up just making miters and the points of inclination...I was trying to use the existing (this was/is a remodel) balustrade and I only succeeded in about blowing it apart...the amount of force required it make the hump/valley bend is obscene as I found out...take note I was using 6" wide and 3/4" thick pieces of wood...turns out luckily the center of the new handrail fell exactly on the inside of the existing balusters so I used them as a "form" to bend to...went home dismal with failure and after drinking a bottle of wine or so figured making a bending jig for the hump on a discarded solid core flat door should work...it did barely as I had to over bend to 22.5 degrees to allow for spring back, among other issues like at the inside point of the bend the wood compressed and swelled up and had to figure out how to control that issue...point being each of these layers of wood, 4 in total to make a blank 3" thick, had to be clamped...so over 4 days I tightened up 240 clamps...then (too soon for my tastes but the d*mned builder promised the owner right in front of me (after I had already told them 5 days more of drying at the very least) that glue up would start tomorrow)...again tightening up 60 or so bar clamps and tearing my palm apart (and yeah, I was wearing gloves)...oh as a note I made the hump/valley bends using quick clamps...the old Irwin ones...the new model fails completely, heck DeWalt versions are stronger but NOT as strong as the old Irwin clamps...just a note for those that might own some of the old ones...ya, the heads are skewed and that causes movement when trying to clamp on the flat...but the are powerful as all hell...treat them like gold...the new ones fail at a MUCH lower load...the bar starts to bend and at failure point they squeeze but just simply slip...

anywho enuf of the woodworking stuff...

point being Adam...cheer up...it WILL get better...the only reason I said anything about myself is so that you might get some info as to hand injuries...as I noted before, you made a fairly surgical cut...and that will heal nicely with just a little white line after some time...my ragged cut will always be noticed...hahahahaha...your movement should come back and hopefully the numbness will go away...not being a doctor I can't comment on any nerve injury that might have happened...I got "lucky" and while I completely took out the tendon I missed the bone and nerve bundle...ya, I have issues with my fingers but I assume that's a side effect of the injury (again WHOLE hand effects) and as noted is going away...SLOWLY...but going away...

take care...and lighten up...could be worse, eh?...could have completely removed something...

12. Axeman270

Axeman270 Member

wow you've been turning out a lot of nice looking stuff. My first thought when I saw the green and gold was you better sell that in Wisconsin or near the ND campus, you'll probably get double from crazed sports fans due to the colors.

And that hand cut looks brutal, I'd be sure to wrap it for protection and comfort. Be sure to do a figure 8 and not a spiral though, spirals can cut off circulation.

13. BanGuitars

BanGuitars New Member

nice P U

14. robanomoly

robanomoly Active Member

Damn that looks painful! So sorry to see this, Adam.

As other's have said, it will take time to get back to normal. A table saw nipped the tip of my finger and it was at least a year before the numbness went away. Trying to find a balance between using it and resting it will be tough. Hopefully you can get some physical therapy to help along the way.

15. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

First time working in the new shop (my garage):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Working on Hal's guitar. Tried staining, then spraying over it, then stripped that to get a grey type effect, but it didn't really work out (probably due to the species of maple), so I started working on bleaching the wood.

16. Duplex Dave

Duplex Dave Active Member

First time working in the new shop (my garage):

What't this all about? What happened to the big shop space you were sharing?

17. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Is what it is, got sick of paying so much in rent without the income to justify it.

18. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

This one is almost done, going to try to finish up this afternoon before FedEx closes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Still have some things to do. The customer has a guy who will make wood cavity covers, so I won't be making those so as to save time. Only working a half day at the jobby job today so I can go home and get the guitar hopefully finished.

19. Adam

Adam Well-Known Member

Finished up the first of two guitars for the Dallas International Guitar Festival. This one has a mahogany body, maple/bubinga 3 piece neck, ebony board, bone nut, Hipshot hardware, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack, and my Tuned Aperture pickups, hot vintage wind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

High res gallery is on imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/lCdH3

This guitar is $2000, and if doesn't sell at the show will be available after the show ends on the 7th.

20. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

Very nice! I like that white one with the dark stripes. May I ask where you obtain your bridges for the multi-scale guitars?