Disillusioned with building...not really

Discussion in 'Guitar Building' started by DRF, Apr 17, 2015.

1. DRF

DRF Member

...help me outta my funk. I still love guitars, wood, the smell of fresh cut wood the blank canvas, the shop, but I've been on kinda of a break for awhile. What bothers me is designs, nothing is new, fantastic...or rather I don't feel like I'm doing something unique or there is anything left, I really thought I was onto something with the radius top LOL, I figured out pretty early on I wasn't even the first duh how could I be so stupid but now there are even more I see, it's distressing because as you know a lot of work goes into it.

Designing that is, that's what initially drew me into this, that and the wood -beautiful figured wood, that cinched the deal.

Wood is expensive up here contrary to Ihavenofish experiences lol, I look on ebay and 45 people watching...you just know they are all guitar builders.

I really racking my brain here to come up with something interesting, different, to get me excited but where to go?, accessible or far out ?. What are you guys doing to keep motivated ?.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. poro78

poro78 Well-Known Member

Why it needs to be new or fantastic?

Just asking, because I stick to the basics and modify a bit - if I find something I like, I use it. If I don't like something, I discard it and replace it with something I like.
    Little by little I might have something fantastic/unique/new... or maybe I don't.
    Maybe someone else has already made the same thing. Who cares? :D

You think all the new, fantastic and unique builds are something that came to life right after the first draft?

JSH likes this.
  3. Knarbens

Knarbens Well-Known Member

I think it's more about doing designs you like instead of racking your brain over whether it's new or not. The more you build the more you'll find your own style.

Purelojik and poro78 like this.
  4. DRF

DRF Member

Thanks for replies guys, ya know it gets late at night and I start thinking deeply about stuff. Anyway, it doesn't HAVE to be new, I still love the Tele as the universal go to design -I got one project goin on in my mind right now...can't get away from it.

I like doing stuff different, always been like that since I was a kid getting in fights in the school yard cause I wouldn't follow the alpha male and fall into the pack, great training but not highly recommended for an easy life. Regarding fantastic and new builds -that's what bothers me is the work that goes into it and seeing it to fruition and then watching a guitar show on Youtube etc. and seeing ideas you thought were inventive or even just not the norm being implemented readily. Does that makes sense?, maybe not. I'm just shootin the shit.

Playing wise I'm on a Strat kick now for several years, I love the modular cheapness of them, the basic functionality getting the no frills job done. I've been thinking of a way to build similar where you have a template and the heart of the guitar is the same and easily made but body styles can be changed with just a template switch.

5. DRF

DRF Member

I should point out another thing that helped set me off was, I was shopping for wood and went to my favorite go to place and out of curiousity -because the CN dollar is like 79 cents (77 thru paypal) I put wood in cart to figure out shipping, African mahogany which I would not of really bought before -I mean I have but SA was always readily available but times have changed- so anyway could've got 6 bodies and 6 necks worth/ 4 of the bodies 1pc and the total came in well over $700 no duties figured in yet either. Shipping actually came out more than actual wood.

6. JSH

JSH New Member

I know what you mean, I have spent months agonizing over the design process for my lap steel project.
    every day some little aspect of it changes in my head.
    I've gone from over the top, to
    simple and plain, then back again.
    I bought my wood, and just stared at it for days before gluing up.
    as for wood sources, I'm not sure how far from Michigan you are, but check out Bell exotic's. Prices are fair, and it's top quality lumber.

7. Jim_E

Jim_E Active Member

Where are you located?

8. Murkar

Murkar Well-Known Member

DRF - if you are in Canada (since you said CN dollar, although that could be elsewhere) you should get in touch with either Jon or Exotic Woods. There is also fraser-valley fine woods.

I never buy wood from the US any more - US shipping charges are a joke.

9. DRF

DRF Member

Hey guys, I'm in Saskatoon area. I've bought probably 98% of my wood from the States -not that I've bought a ton but I've built up a nice stash over the years because...well as you know it's exciting buying it and it never really depreciates, in fact it's probably a good investment that totally gets better with age. I estimate I'd have 3-4 times the wood if I lived in the States for same amount of money or because of availability ie- shipping.

Even with shipping it always came out to a better deal than if I wandered down to Windsor Plywood, although I've bought a few pieces from there. Murkar, I recently just bought my first from -I think it was Fraser- a nice 1/4in spalted top. Jon contacted me and said if I needed anything to call, I like seeing the piece online, click into cart and see complete prices added up so no surprises and not bothering anybody with my compulsive anal retention disorder (CARD) lol.

JSH, I just spent some time over at TGP luthier section looking at a thread about a guitar show -I think it was Frankfurt, it's kinda settled me down a bit, everything is incredible, every idea is a go, truly a wildwest of guitars right now.

10. DRF

DRF Member

Since it's kinda quiet here I might as well ramble on, speaking of wood as an investment of sorts -I don't know how else to put it- when I think of valuable things I have It always comes back to the wood, not the tools, household crap, guitars or whatever else.

The piece de resistance I acquired about 10-15yrs ago iirc...I cant even remember was a giant 2x15 wide Honduras Mahogany board, I saw it online from Missouri and contacted the guy and got him to cut it up into 6 38in lengths (ah the old days of the internet), it's beautiful perfectly quartered, deep colour -it almost looks like sapele or African because of the colour and pattern until you plane it and look closely at the grain, I've never seen much like it.

When I got it, one of the board ends was cracked (I saw in photo before hand) and cut that board in half and used the other for a Tele (well this was 10yrs ago so I defer blame), anyway I still have 5 boards left -enough for 10 bodies, I will probably only ever use it if I get to a certain point in my building, it may be next year or 20 if I'm still around. Again, iirc it was $600 all in.

11. JSH

JSH New Member

Just cause you buy it doesn't mean it has to be built into something right away.
    There are guys I have talked with, that have been sitting on 50-60 yr old old growth lumber for 20+ years and have decided that the wood is FINALLY ready to build with.