Dillion DR 500 XI

Discussion in 'Restoration & Repair' started by mistermikev, Jan 30, 2016.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

Hello,
    been a bit, glad to be back.

Today I found a Dillion guitar on craigslist. It's basically a prs knockoff. for $25 I figured it'd be a fun project.

Initial impression: feels really solid. Inlays are done well. Logo is pearl inlay on what looks like ebony veneer. fretboard is interesting wood and pearl inlay. made in korea. frets look brand new. neck is straight as an arrow and has a nice profile.

Looking at the dillion website it is apparently solid maple neck and body and they sell new somewhere in the $450 range.

Ok, so this one is ruff - I believe it has been shot! Literally looks like it took three bullets. So... I have no dreams of any sort of elaborate repair but thought I'd get some feedback/ideas.

first off: the veneer is burned through, and given the bullet holes anyway, will have to be stripped. it's a sculpted top so I'm not sure overlaying another veneer is within my skill set but if you've got ideas on that I'm all ears. maybe a paint job would be most realistic.

bullet hole fix:
    1) dowels. Buy some decent dowel material, drill out the holes, fill em in, fill remaining gaps with epoxy. upside: easy. downside - will have to use some type of filler for backside.
    OR
    2) take my router and trim out 1/4" on top and back to edge of guitar. replace with maple sand to fit. upside: solid wood. downside: more work and removing more original wood

thoughts?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  2. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

If it were me, i would strip it, fix the holes with dowels and epoxy and respray a solid color. Youll loos the curly top but it will look new. Or try a dark burst. Also why is it set up for a tune-o-matic anx a stop tail piece, but has what looks to be some sort of route for a tremolo? Am inmissing something?

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

first off: thanks for responding.
    I hear ya on the solid color. Certainly wouldn't be worth the effort to relam a top... only toying with the idea in my mind because it would be a challenge on anything other than a flat top.
    I used to work with laminate a lot, and did a lot of curves with it w a heat gun. I wonder if veneer would work the same way.

anyway, good eyes. I was wondering if that would catch anyone else's attention. at first I thought perhaps someone had converted it over... but I don't think so. the wood there doesn't look like its been replaced. I guess I'll know for sure when I remove the top.

I know this model is available in trem or fixed bridge so perhaps it is a time saving feature from the factory? route em all the same and only have to go back for either stud holes or a final trem route? there is half a trem block in there too and I wonder if that is for weight/balance?

Then again the route job on that part doesn't look pro... and contrasts against the elec cavity... so perhaps a replacement? but then they laminated the top? seems unlikely.

anywho, thanks again for the response.

4. CatonGuitars

CatonGuitars Member

Ya that route is gnarly. Even the cheepest import guitars have cleaner routes than that. Also the trem block access isnt right and the trem block/spring claw looks like it's from a cheep Floyd Rose. Id say some body started to install a tremolo and either realized they didnt know what they were doing or just lost interest. Unless you're interested in a challenge, i say finish the trem install, make sure it has a nice level fret job and make it a player.

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

thanks again for the response.
    it's got great frets. I have the blocks to do a job but looking at it... it's straight as can be, at least good enough that I'll string it up and see if it has any probs.

I took the trem block out and looked at it... looks like someone sawed halfway through a trem block and broke it off. perhaps they found the block was too long, tried to mcgaiver it... then just said to hell with it.

I think I'd prefer the tune-o-matic. I've got a other trem guitars. Figured this would be fun to drop d on with some heavy strings. probably build an active eq for it, do up a rotary 6 way...

maybe go all matte black... then again, here's an opportunity to try something risky and not care how it turns out.

thanks again for responses!

6. mistermikev

mistermikev Member

incidentally, two questions:
    has anyone here ever done a jem swirl without having to wetsand for years?
    sources for real nice spray paint online?